Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Damn Yankees

Anybody familiar with the relative distribution of instrument parts in the Damn Yankees reed books, i.e., how much of each instrument is in each book? The publisher (MTI) has given me the instrumentation list (I: piccolo, flute, clarinet, alto sax; II: piccolo, flute, clarinet, alto sax; III: oboe, english horn, clarinet, tenor sax; IV: clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, tenor sax; V: clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, baritone sax), but I can't see the books until 2 months before opening, so I don't know how much, for example, english horn is needed in reed III.

I have seen discussions on other forums that picc and flute are optional in reed 2, as are oboe and english in reed 3, and that the bassoon and bass clarinet parts are double-staved in reeds 4 and 5, but I'm looking for some confirmation.

If anyone can shed light on the distribution of reed doubles in Damn Yankees, it would be much appreciated.

It's been years since I've done the show, but I don't recall any issues either time I played the show - and I am not a double reed player and wouldn't play my flute outside (or inside) the house.

Sorry, I don't recall which books I played either.

Search the forum a bit more. There's a link here, someplace, that has a listing of all the parts for most musicals.

Search the forum a bit more. There's a link here, someplace, that has a listing of all the parts for most musicals.

He has this already, I think he wants to know how much each instrument is present in the parts and whether or not there is an alternate instrument part in the score itself for some of the parts played by flute and double reeds.

I have both reed 2 and 3 in my possession getting ready for a 3 weekend run in June. Reed 2 has a lot of clarinet, the flute/piccolo parts are double scored for clarinet which I am going to do part of the time, and some nice alto lines. Reed 3 is a lot of oboe and English Horn (both again double scored for clarinet) mixed with clarinet and some fun tenor lines as part of a sax section soli. Will be able to comment on the other books in about 3 weeks. SHOELESS JOE has the most difficult clarinet lines.

Back
Top Bottom