Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Dave Koz - Walk of Fame star

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090813/A_ENTERTAIN/908130307/-1/NEWSMAP

From the article:

Dave Koz is moving into a new "location" soon.
It's right around the corner from Frank Sinatra.
He still can't believe it.

"It's strange to even say it right out," the smooth-jazz saxophone virtuoso said. "But I'm going to get my star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It sounds crazy, but it's true. I'm still scratching my head."
Koz, a native of Encino who now lives in the Beverly Hills flatlands, will be moving in next to Bonnie Raitt's star Sept. 22, near the landmark Capitol Records building at Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street. Sinatra, Dean Martin and the Beatles will be right down the street.

I don't get this. I don't get the Oscars. Just out of curiosity, does Sanborn have one? That I would get.

Last edited:
I just read the Downbeat critics poll and I had to shake my head.

Joe Lovano over Sonny Rollins? Chris Potter finishes third.

On alto they have Lee Konitz besting Ornette Coleman, Phil Woods, and Kenny Garrett. Kenny Garrett fourth? Seriously?

I don't have any problem with Dave getting a star on the walk of fame. He's been active out there for years and he's well known in that scene. He does a popular radio show in addition to being a wonderful player.

I agree that Sanborn should have a star if he doesn't already. He's a rarity these days - someone who is instantly recognizable by the sound of his playing.

I just read the Downbeat critics poll and I had to shake my head.

Joe Lovano over Sonny Rollins? Chris Potter finishes third.

On alto they have Lee Konitz besting Ornette Coleman, Phil Woods, and Kenny Garrett. Kenny Garrett fourth? Seriously?

I believe that many of the Polls conducted today have their numbers skewed to promote a little controversy.
Nothing gets people talking like something that gets their dander up. It's probably not the case here,
but I wouldn't be surprised by an ambitious editor who's trying to drum up some interest by whatever means possible.

As for Dave Koz. I'm glad Koz is getting some recognition. Frankly, there's little enough of that sort of attention given to any intrumental musician. The more the better, even if it means passing over some more deserving people.
I agree Sanborn deserves one too. But the Walk of Fame is just that. It's about fame, not necessarily about the most deserving.

One more thing. I'd rather listen to the Koz then listen to Bonnie Raitt. (I do own an album of hers). So by that measure, he belongs there along with Bonnie, IMO. As Clint Eastwood has said before, "Deserves got nothin' to do with it"

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with Dave getting a star on the walk of fame. He's been active out there for years and he's well known in that scene. He does a popular radio show in addition to being a wonderful player.

I agree that Sanborn should have a star if he doesn't already. He's a rarity these days - someone who is instantly recognizable by the sound of his playing.

As for Dave Koz. I'm glad Koz is getting some recognition. Frankly, there's little enough of that sort of attention given to any intrumental musician. The more the better, even if it means passing over some more deserving people.
I agree Sanborn deserves one too. But the Walk of Fame is just that. It's about fame, not necessarily about the most deserving.
Point taken. Didn't mean to belittle Koz. I can't say I care one bit about the Walk of Fame. I don't know why but the Sanborn thing just came to mind. He may have been coasting for years but he really created a sound plus more. I never get tired of his early stuff.

I didn't think you were denegrating Dave Koz. David Sanborn is
far more important to me than the Koz will ever be. However, it's not
an uncommon event for the Walk o' Fame folks to get it wrong.
It is after all, Hollywood. We can only shake our heads and wonder
why. At least this time, it was a sax player.

Back
Top Bottom