Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Do you recognize it????

I've seen the patent for it (years and years ago, back in the early 1980's, back when running my patent search), but I don't have a copy of it (we junked all of the non-relevant documents once the application was approved). The bronze color of the mouthpiece didn't show up in the black and white printed documents, however.

While it works about the same as a standard metal ligature, the difference here is that once you lose the abbreviated ligature, you now have to come up with some substitute that works about as well. Good luck finding this one (or metal Berg Larsen ones) in the local music shop.

(I once lost the only Berg Larsen baritone ligature that I had due to its slipping from the straight sided mouthpiece and falling down between a wall and the floor of an orchestra pit, this happening about five minutes before downbeat. A couple of strips of duct tape applied to the reed and mouthpiece combination got me through the evening, and the very nice people at Berg Larsen were incredibly gracious to send me five each of soprano, alto, tenor and baritone ligatures free gratis when I inquired how much one of each would cost.)

It's nothing more than a standard screw ligature with a short metal band attached to engage the grooved shoulders on the mouthpiece - screw (or attached plate) pushes against the reed bark while the ends of the band are pulled against the shoulder. Our major concern with this one was with the mouthpiece "cover", which came close in design to what I once thought upon about filing, but never did.

Mouthpiece Terry, not Lig. The lig looks the ones used on the Lawton's, but I don't recognize the mouthpiece.
It may be a Julious Neumann, but those were made in the 20's and didn't have the big indents.
Claude Lakey has the big indents, but I don't recall any having the turned shanks and I don't know about him using that type of ligature.

I have contacted the author of Mouthpiece Museum. He was very helpful with the identification of the mouthpiece. It turned out that it was vitnage Julius Keilwerth model which is very rare and it has a collectors value about 300$. Administrator of this site will add the picture to the website so soon if you want you can see them :) Thanks a lot for your help
Regards

Back
Top Bottom