E-flat Contra Alto

I'm new to the group, and have tried to find the appropriate place to ask this question. I bought a Bundy resonite E-flat contra-alto clarinet in 1970. I recently donated it to a local high school. I know what the clarinet's present value is, but I can't recall what I paid for it in 1970. Can you tell me where to go to find what the prices were in 1970?

That might be difficult. I might have an old Bundy catalog at home, but no guarantees that it has pricing info in it. I was actually unaware that there were Bundy contaltos. I thought they only went down to bass.

As an alternative, you could see if you can find a new resonite horn. The prices probably aren't terribly different, once you adjust for inflation.

Current value is what you need to be aiming at in any event. I think that this is some sort of variation on the ol' capital gains, although I doubt that the IRS will be worrying about this too much.

(When my friend was set to donate his old bassoon to a Lutheran secondary school, I bought it from him instead for the value of the tax donation (and made out the check for the full $333.33 allowed (and would have continued the repeating decimal out if allowed for in US commerce).)

And, yes, Bundy branded contra-altos (which are really basses, but let's not quibble) have been produced for many many years. Most that I have seen and used are beaten to death, and you can occasionally find them in school district auctions for a bargain price (which is probably along the reasoning you are following in making the donation in the first place.

You certainly did!

That's very much what my E-flat contra alto looked like. Mine was in very good condition, but it had not been played for at least the last 20 years. I've developed TMJ and don't play any longer. The nickel was not cloudy or scratched. When I donated it, I thought they might need to have the pads checked, or possibly replaced, but I was told there was very minor work done on it. I donated it to one of the high schools in the district where I went to school. They gave me a letter for taxes, and the clarinet was valued a bit higher than the price you've quoted. I wasn't certain I could figure out how that compared, given inflation, to what I paid for it. I thought knowing the price in 1970 would help.

About the cases, they were pretty flimsy when new, and I took mine to Europe in addition to schlepping it around at home. The latches all worked, but one of the divider pieces was loose. I'm sure it could be glued back in place. I donated the clarinet, mouthpiece, a neck strap, a reed guard, some reeds and oil. There was no point in keeping any of it. I don't recall there being a swab. It's not an easy horn to swab! lol

Thank you both for your QUICK responses! I truly appreciate the help.

I can't find my catalog, btw. I'm fairly confident that it didn't have any prices, though.

Back
Top Bottom