Earle Hagen

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
LOS ANGELES - Earle H. Hagen, who co-wrote the jazz classic "Harlem Nocturne" and composed memorable themes for "The Andy Griffith Show," "I Spy," "The Mod Squad" and other TV shows, has died. He was 88.

Hagen, who is heard whistling the folksy tune for "The Andy Griffith Show," died Monday night at his home in Rancho Mirage, his wife, Laura, said Tuesday. He had been in ill health for several months.

During his long musical career, Hagen performed with the top bands of the swing era, composed for movies and television and wrote one of the first textbooks on movie composing. Read more...
Earle is a cult hero figure in many music circles. And I suspect there isn't a saxophonist alive who doesn't enjoy playing the solo from Harlem Nocturne. It sounds like he led a very full life, full of music, friends, and interesting work.

His home page is at http://www.earlehagen.net/home.htm where you can read more about this fascinating fellow.

Indeed, the only strike against the man was that he was first and foremost a trombone player.

Talent can find itself hiding in some unusual places. There's always a bit of a murmur when I announce that Orange Colored Sky was written by none other than Milton DeLugg, musical director (at one point) of both The Gong Show and The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Ol' Milt has more going for him than a goofy name...

Nelson Riddle was also a trombone player. Maybe sitting up there playing middle harmony notes, waiting all night for a solo, is condusive to musical architectural type thinking? Man, these two guys sure got a lot of milage out of the 'bone player, arranger/composer connection!

If it soothes anyones sense of fraternalology, Frank Devol was a saxophone player. His credit line, MUSIC BY DEVOL, can be seen at the end of lots of Doris Day, Rock Hudson type movies and TV shows from the late fifties through to the seventies. And I believe he played the alto on the theme of "My Three Sons." I used to think that was Fred MacMurray, who played pretty nice saxophone, but I later read that Devol played the alto on the theme. His music was pretty smaltzy, but it was high quality smaltz.

But Earl Hagen was a household name back in the fifties and sixties, but only if you liked to read the credit roll at the end of the tv shows. His music was pristine, the musicians were top notch. If you check out the Andy Griffin Show, you can hear some pretty hip sounding music under some of the dance and light romantic scenes. And I believe that at least one episode features "Harlem Nocturne."

Nelson Riddle was also a trombone player. Maybe sitting up there playing middle harmony notes, waiting all night for a solo, is condusive to musical architectural type thinking? Man, these two guys sure got a lot of milage out of the 'bone player, arranger/composer connection!

If it soothes anyones sense of fraternalology, Frank Devol was a saxophone player. His credit line, MUSIC BY DEVOL, can be seen at the end of lots of Doris Day, Rock Hudson type movies and TV shows from the late fifties through to the seventies. And I believe he played the alto on the theme of "My Three Sons." I used to think that was Fred MacMurray, who played pretty nice saxophone, but I later read that Devol played the alto on the theme. His music was pretty smaltzy, but it was high quality smaltz.

But Earl Hagen was a household name back in the fifties and sixties, but only if you liked to read the credit roll at the end of the tv shows. His music was pristine, the musicians were top notch. If you check out the Andy Griffin Show, you can hear some pretty hip sounding music under some of the dance and light romantic scenes. And I believe that at least one episode features "Harlem Nocturne."

Tommy Dorsey, and Glenn Miller jump to mind when I think of bone players that composed. Granted, Dorsey doesn't equal Riddle in many ways, but I've often wondered what Miller would have gone on to do, had he lived.

On a side note. Another famous bone player is Denis Wick (Although not a composer) of MPC fame. He once was the principal trombonist for the London Symphony Orchestra.

My Three Sons has been the topic for many rumors and myths. I too heard that MacMurray played the My 3 Sons theme. I also heard that it was a C-Melody that was used too. Frank Devol seems more likely as his name was all over TV and Movies back then. I knew he wrote the theme for MY 3 Sons, along with Family Affair and The Brady Bunch shows, but I never knew he played the sax. Interesting stuff !

Last edited:
It's Frankies birthday.

Frank Trumbauer. The guy who was said to have inspired Lester Young and his concept of tone.

Here is a link to the song for anyone who would like a refresher in "Nick at Night" trivia.
http://home.comcast.net/~linkman00/tv-mp3/My_Three_Sons.mp3

I would have to throw my hand (ear) in and say it doesn't really sound much like a C Melody, but then again, I've not heard a really beautiful C Melody live, only my crummy, "still needs a decent mouthpiece" one.

That MP3 is the original recording ??? I recall the sax player using alot more vibrato. Are you sure that's not a modern recreation ?

Update -
I found another link that I think is the original recording. It definitely has a different sound to it.
http://www.televisiontunes.com/My_Three_Sons_-_1960.html

One thing is for sure, there aren't enough themes out there featuring the sax !

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm at work and all packed up 'cuz they are moving me next week. My commute goes from walking distance to 20 minutes by moped. :cry:

I'm not a big fan of moving. 20 minutes isn't too bad for the commute.

That MP3 is the original recording ??? I recall the sax player using alot more vibrato. Are you sure that's not a modern recreation ?

Update -
I found another link that I think is the original recording. It definitely has a different sound to it.
http://www.televisiontunes.com/My_Three_Sons_-_1960.html

One thing is for sure, there aren't enough themes out there featuring the sax !

Yes, Connical, your link sounds like it could be the original. It would only play once for me, so I have no real chance to peruse it to determine if it's alto or c melody. But from what I heard on the one hearing, it sounded like alto.

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I remember seeing DeVol blowing a MKVI low A bari on an episode of the Brady Bunch. Frank was leading the band onstage for some kind of talent show with the Brady kids, and he was playing a tune on the bari. Didn't look at all overdubed, and he didn't sound bad.

Reactions: Ed
You've done it now ! I can see my free time in the near future fading fast. Glued to the set, hopelessly scanning countless episodes of the Brady Bunch, waiting for that scene. Groovy !:-(

Back
Top Bottom