eBay Deal o' the Moment

It's worse than fibreglass - they're moulded acrylic.... I think it'll be necessary to take the paint off really carefully with a mild absasive and then buff with a really fine grit/rouge - maybe even toothpaste. And they're supposed to be a real bitch to work on, special pads, special springs.

I agree with you, why pay a fortune for a plastic sax? But some people want to. Some people are happy paying 5K or more for a clapped out MkVI. I don't understand that on either.

Sounds like 1000-3000 grit wet sand paper would be best to finish rather than toothpaste. Much more consistent. I have repaired several surfboards, and @ 800 grit the haze starts to disappear. I use 2000 grit on the back of my guitar necks. Makes it so smooth you can hardly feel the neck. Wet sanding will work very well to finish it after the paint has been removed. I would start wet sanding at 600 grit, and move up to the next higher increment as soon as the surface feels smooth under the wet paper.

I stand corrected...

...as I got my information from the holder of the instrument. All that I said about Fibreglas® applies double for acrylic, as there is no reenforcement in the polymer there as there is with Fibreglas.

The statements about "modern plastic technology" only go so far as to address the 'modern plastic' when it is new. Once molded, modern plastics still deteriorate due to ozone and plasticizer migration. Even the mighty carbon fiber stuff is really nothing more than very strong fibers (similar to the glass fiber used in Fibreglas) molded into a resin of some sort.

Epoxy is strong stuff, but it too is mortal. Long story short, if you want something not to be affected by the environment, you need to make it out of something resistant to that environment.

...as I got my information from the holder of the instrument. All that I said about Fibreglas® applies double for acrylic, as there is no reenforcement in the polymer there as there is with Fibreglas.

The statements about "modern plastic technology" only go so far as to address the 'modern plastic' when it is new. Once molded, modern plastics still deteriorate due to ozone and plasticizer migration. Even the mighty carbon fiber stuff is really nothing more than very strong fibers (similar to the glass fiber used in Fibreglas) molded into a resin of some sort.

Epoxy is strong stuff, but it too is mortal. Long story short, if you want something not to be affected by the environment, you need to make it out of something resistant to that environment.

Actually, Carbon Fiber is molded, epoxied and EXTREMELY strong synthetic carbon mesh. But what gives it it's strength is that it is formed under high vacuum. It doesn't deteriorate, and actually is a good choice for musical instruments. To my ear, CF cellos sound incredible. Better than most wood cellos. I have been wondering about CF woodwinds for a while. Would love to hear one.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JYBUsxep4UQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We occasionally ran into erosion with epoxies in industrial service. Vibration and normal atmosphere were the problem, plus about twenty odd years of service. You can't bet on them forever, although a saxophone would be a lot less exposed to such stuff.

All of the Grafton equipment was scrapped out in the Sixties, or you could test your theories out by laying up a carbon fiber version. However, since the original was injection molded rather than put together like a boat, the attachment tabs might not work out all that well.

We occasionally ran into erosion with epoxies in industrial service. Vibration and normal atmosphere were the problem, plus about twenty odd years of service. You can't bet on them forever, although a saxophone would be a lot less exposed to such stuff.

All of the Grafton equipment was scrapped out in the Sixties, or you could test your theories out by laying up a carbon fiber version. However, since the original was injection molded rather than put together like a boat, the attachment tabs might not work out all that well.

That is very true, 20 years of exposure would erode most thin materials. Of course, none of our vintage horns would have survived that either. Thin brass would be lucky to survive half that if continuously exposed to the elements and (I'm assuming mechanical) vibrations.

Cheapo Sop Sax

I have been seeing these Soprano Saxes, as well as a few Oboes, go for between $20-100 which to me is worth the gamble. Unfortunately I can't afford to gamble at present. Thought someone else might be adventurous like me. My oppinion is that either the factory is doing some sort of client created R&D and quality control, or the sellers are attempting to make some good feedback. Possibly both. The cheapest I have seen these for normally is $200.

I have been seeing these Soprano Saxes, as well as a few Oboes, go for between $20-100 which to me is worth the gamble. Unfortunately I can't afford to gamble at present. Thought someone else might be adventurous like me. My oppinion is that either the factory is doing some sort of client created R&D and quality control, or the sellers are attempting to make some good feedback. Possibly both. The cheapest I have seen these for normally is $200.
Actually, the question really might be, "Would you spend more than $20 on a dealer that has 0 feedback? How 'bout a dealer shipping direct from China?"

LT, not to pick on you, but we want to try to keep this thread about the rare and unusual that are cheap, not student horns -- as is listed in the first post in the thread. If you want to start a different thread about cheap student model horns, you can PM me and we'll see what we want to do.

Thanks!

Nope. French. Guenot made their own saxes (or, you could say, Doucet made Guenot saxes). I've seen more than a few.

The engraving's a bit interesting. You've got that "K<something> Wicky, Geneve" stamp. A German selling a French-made sax that was distributed by a Swiss storefront. That's what I call international.

Looks like the neck may have been lengthened. Might be someone selling a high-pitch horn that was "converted" to low pitch.

Thanks. When you look closely, you can just make out 'Made in France' above the dealer name. Didn't think of low/high pitch with the neck, but it makes sense. Messy and ineffective.

Yah.

If I was just to buy a random horn to play -- that is, if I could play without danger of head asploding -- I wouldn't even mind if it was HP. It's not like I'm going to play out anyplace ever again. In the case of lengthening the neck, tho, you throw the whole horn out of tune.

I do suppose it's possible that it's an unmodified neck and the vertical line on the neck was from where cork was, but you'd then still question if the horn was HP or LP.

Oh. Didn't mention: there's also a probability it's a C melody tenor. The ad doesn't specify.

If you're in Paris, buy this and take some big pics and send 'em to me.

That's an F Renoux tenor. I've mentioned the Super Rex here, somewhere. That's the same company. This is just an earlier horn.

Freely transliterating the ad, "No reasonable offers refused." It's listed at only 1 Euro.

Current highest bidder is q************e

Wonder who that could be......!
Sorry, that should be q************o (no edit on this mall thread)

The add says "For the protection of our buyers, the bidder name is only visible to the bidder"

They might want to do something other than blank out the middle 12 characters sometimes!

Well, if I reference your original post, I could come up with a lot of amusing and interesting things. The second post, though, means that you might have to fight off quinntheeskimo if you want this horn :).

Hey, I just post the ads. I think it's quite probable that the mighty Quinn looks at the "for sale" 'boards on several forums, which is why he's really good at his job.

EDIT: Quinn's not the high bidder anymore, it's g********s --
and the horn's now a shade under $900. That plus a neck and overhaul will equal just about the max value of this horn is, plus or minus a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom