Emil Lyon Clarinet

I posted this in an other thread but it was sort of off topic and I think may get missed.

I have a little "problem" well actually I have several but back to clarinets. I have a habit of making a silly low bid on things on e bay- sure that I will not win but hay you never know, then somtimes the silly bid wins and I buy something I really am not even sure I even want or need. This time it was for http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160538003603 Now I really don't believe it is that old, and I am sure it's not a particuarly good instrument but does anyone know anything about Emil-Lyon clarinets. All I have to do now is tell hubby that I have purchased yet another unplayable insrtument that will need overhaul. If it's not a worthy instrument I may use it as a learning tool on how to re-pad etc. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

To be honest, I've never heard of that brand, except from an address: EMIL LYONS U.S. MUSICAL MERCHANDISING CORPORATION....860 BROADWAY...NEW YORK, NEW YORK.
So you're having a (French made?) instrument of unknown origin with a trade name embossed on it. The market value of such instruments is usually zip, maybe the rough material value if you need a donor instrument to replace a bell or a key for a different instrument.

In other words - the perfect candidate to learn how to replace tenon corks, buff keys, repad and the like.
If all goes well you get a decent backup instrument, eg for outdoors. Your investment is modest and you'll learn a lot. Which makes it priceless in its own way.

My own adventure started with a Martin Busine clarinet (made in Italy, no idea by whom), and despite its missing market value it was a decent player and I could even sell it for a modest profit (I didn't count the hours I invested in refurbishing it). In terms of learning, it was an invaluable asset.

i think it may be a Malerne

but have to check on the twin side spatula key posts AND the top/bottom screw thumbrest and straight arm LJ top pad arm.

the top joint looks Malerne though, just the lower joint is kinda odd. But then Malerne are not a brand i follow

I've heard of Emilio Lyons. He's a repairman. It's possible that there's a relationship, there. Wouldn't hurt to check, I suppose. Other people have clarinets from this maker.

The only other thing I can say is that the clarinet doesn't look terribly old. late 20's or newer, I'd think. Not 19th century, as it says in the ad.

From my limited experience it did'nt look that old to me, the style of the font etc looks 20/30's. Umm I suspect this poor old instrument was made in a back street in paris somewhere, unidientified and unloved, shipped to the other side of the pond and stamped By Mr' Lyons emporium. Perchance his GG grandson, inspired by the family tradition decided he wanted to grow up and play with clarinets for aliving. Sort of fitting as I suspect The dear old Lewin Bros imported a similar instrument and stamped it, thus providing a stable mate for this purchase when it arrives.

Just wish I had realised that the postage would cost more than the flippin' horn.

When I have it I will take some pics and they might shed more light on which paris workshop it was built in.

Just wish I had realised that the postage would cost more than the flippin' horn.
Heh, in the land where I live that's the norm.
On the bright side, with shipping and taxes included, you still paid half of what you'd have been spending here.

I have a emil lyon clarinet, that I played for many years in grade school and high school. It has a 1907 on it just a the top of the thumb rest. and the metal is made from is nickel and will bend and self polish with a little rubbing with a cloth. It is a good sounding clarinet made with real redish old wood? I believe it was made 1907.
Greg cat gregcat47@gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom