Eppelsheim Soprillo or Piccolo Sax

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
The Eppelsheim soprillo sax is about 12 inches long and quite the squeaker. But I've found it to be quite the player. I've heard that it is the only insrument that Adolphe Sax designed but never actually built.

It is especially nice for quartet pieces like the Intergalactic Rag aka the Star Wars Bar song. It took me a while to be able to play to B3, the first B above the staff in the treble clef. But an unexpected benefit was that my sopranino sax became very easy to play the full range of the instrument.

Give a listen to the soprillo played by a pro at Planet Soprillo. I especially like the piece called Mandy's Rag.

Gandalfe,

You may be able to take the boy out of Edina (and Mankato State) but apparently something of the Minnesota 'weirdness' remains even out there on the upper left hand side of the country ;) ...

I've been enjoying my soprillo (serial number 90) for a couple of years now ? the neighbors, however, may have a somewhat different response ? but still have some problems with the upper register (especially above G). Nigel Wood's playing, on both of the NSC's CDs, demonstrated the musicality of the horn to me and continues to serve as a motivating factor! (And now I really want one of the silver plated babies!!)

Enjoy the day!

So many instruments and so little time. I should have my contrabass clarinet back this week. From high to low instruments, I love them all. But that doesn't mean I can do any of them justice. But it's all about the journey for me. And hey, maybe when I retire in 8 years...

Jim,

You are just being prepared so that whatever instrument your grand children want to try you can show them a nice example. I really think it's great of you to put yourself out there like that. :D

Funny you should say that. Nicky (6th grade) started bass clarinet last week. He did this with the understanding that the 7th grade teacher would let him play bari sax in the middle school. He probably wouldn't have made the jazz band otherwise. And Amber (4 years old yesterday) has been tooting her 'Strawberry Shortcake' red recorder for over a year. She helps me start off on a song by going a 1, a 2, 1, 2, 3, 4 just like I do for Nicky's lessons. :D

Your kids are going to love it when their son decides that the school bari stinks and what he really needs is a Yani 991.

Funny you should say that. :cool: Nicky wants my Walter Grabner bass clarinet mouthpiece. I told him sure, when he's doing solos in concert or jazz band, I already have one for him. I'm already looking for a used bari sax for him. Is yours still available?

French Vito. Low A. Ugly as sin. Offered to Pete. We'll see what his wife says.

Back
Top Bottom