F Mezzo Soprano Sax by Aquilasax

Costing ~$3000 plus shipping, Aquilasax's F Mezzo soprano sax is an interesting beasty. I haven't heard how sales are going, but I did get rid of my pristine Conn F Mezzo for much more than that. I just wasn't playing it enough. Anyone heard anything about the quality of this instrument?

The ad just says they're taking orders, and if they get enough it'll go into production.

Intersting they say that it's half way between a sop and an alto, but it's keyed in F... can't they count?

It's been a year and they're still gathering names. Mmm... I wonder if they're close to their "magic" number? (Whatever it is...)

I would only be interested in one if they made it straight and put a ball on the end. :smile:

I would only be interested in one if they made it straight and put a ball on the end. :smile:
Ah. A Conn-O-Sax. Well, I don't have $30,000 to $100,000 in spare cash, so I doubt that I'd get one, JBT :p.

If I had a modern F mezzo, I'd only be interested if a) it sounded significantly like the Conn-O-Sax or b) it was really cheap. Hey, I don't like doing the transposing in my head. $3000 is close to the value of a beat-up Conn F Mezzo, which, when it's repaired, might sell for $5K to $7K+. I don't think an Aquilasax is going to hold its value.

Quite frankly, their track record would really have to improve quite a bit before I'd entertain anything that they had made. Ball or no ball. I totally understand and respect the entrepreneurial spirit, but the end product has to be of a good quality, or what's the point? I have yet to meet 1 person, or correspond with 1 for that matter, who has bought an Aquila Sax and kept it. I think a lot of times the problems arise from the fact that the buyers are pro or semi-pro, advanced or intermediate level players, who expect a certain something from their horns--something that the Aquila brand of saxes can't deliver on. (Be that intonation, evenness of scale, overall tone, or whatever.)

I do remember the long threads on SOTW about the Aquilasax C melody, which essentially led to a design change in the horn, itself. On the one hand, it's nice that the folks from Aquilasax listened. On the other hand, it's still a cheap horn that costs a lot (think about that a bit).

To go along with that, when the Vibrato Sax (plastic sax) came out, they were shooting for the student market, so they made their horns (relatively) cheap: around $500 a pop -- which I still think is too expensive, but we're at least in the right ballpark.

Browsing the Aquilasax new prices, I see that their other instruments -- excepting bari & C bass -- are well under $900 (I don't know if that's Australian $ or US $), which makes charging $3K for an F mezzo all the more puzzling.

Back
Top Bottom