Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Faces to Names

. 'Course CHasR also beat me to the fake photo thing. Darn you, CHasR! Darn you to heck!
uuuhh..actually, that is me. (?) anyway, heck's usually not raining this time of year, so I;m there! goshdarnit, just email me those tickets ! :)

Mr Julian SideC, you look AWFULLY familiar... I see the Odean Pope tag on your photo & am certain we hold a few acquaintances in common. :)

anyway heres some typical gig shots:

can you believe a client actually asked if I could bring 'my yacht' to her gig? (as if) man was she dissapointed when i showed up wearing an innertube

[insert nine years here; between these 2 pictures]

this is a very cool thread.

Cool. I like the "afro" hair style better than the crew cut. It makes you look more like a "hip musician". :)

That looks like a low C bass clarinet. What make is it?

uuuhh..actually, that is me.
:emoji_flushed:

Anyhow, I think I have to hunt for that pic of Groovekiller where he has red hair past his shoulder blades.

I happened to glance at my high school graduation pic -- many, many years ago -- and noticed that my hairstyle hasn't changed. Why mess with perfection? :D

You mean my avatar isn't current enough?

(shocked!)

CHasR, if you're from Philly, I'm sure we may have mutual aquaintances. The photo was taken by Pope's manager one night when the Saxophone Choir was appearing at the Blue Note and she was nice enough to send it to me.

Julian

You mean THIS pic?
I found a similar one, with even more hair, when searching Google awhile back -- I don't remember what I was searching for. I think it might have been me testing Google's new image search and I wanted to see if I could find more pics of your green-enamel Buescher straight alto.

I love the pic, tho. Too bad you're not playing that alto in that pic!

Reminds me of something.

There used to be an absolutely excellent show called "Firefly." One of the characters was a guy named Ron Glass ("Barney Miller"). Anyhow, in most of the show, his hair was like this. Tied back and tidy.

At one point in the show, he's (Rev. Book) tying up his hair after a workout (or something) and his hair looks like this, completely freaking out another character (River). Another character comes by to see what's all the fuss (Zoe). This leads to the following exchange:

Book: "River, please, why don't you come on out?"
River: "No! Can’t. Too much hair."
Zoe: River, honey, he’s putting the hair away now."
River: doesn't matter. It’ll still be there… waiting.

(I'm sorry; I can't find a YouTube link.)

I used the "he's putting the hair away now" comment with a coworker who generally had his hair tied up in a ponytail decided to let it all loose.

===========

I may have related this story before, but my mom has said that most of the pictures of me prior to, oh, 1989ish had been destroyed. I do have memories of things before 1989, but I have no photographic evidence. Hmmm.

In the early 1980s, I was playing the Don Rickles show for a week. For the first 5 days, I tied my long hair back in a ponytail.
On the first night of the weekend, I washed my hair, blew it out, and played the show without the ponytail.
We played Don Rickles' introduction, and Don made his entrance, walked to the microphone, turned around and looked at me, and the first thing he said was,

"I liked it better TIED BACK!"

More an irregular in my case but glad to be here on this forum
J

BTW, thinking about it, I could use it as an avatar ! Shall do

I thought of putting up a few from my pre-1970s days...

...but they were mostly dirty and grubby shots from RVN, and I don't want to offend the ladies or scare the children.

In one of them, I'm in "police mode", in shorts and jungle boots with flak vest, grenade vest TC helmet and grenade launcher, fresh from clearing a bunch of the locals off of our strongpoint. I got so I could judge the wind at 200 meters, and then drop a teargas grenade in just the right spot to move them along.

Good times...

...but they were mostly dirty and grubby shots from RVN, and I don't want to offend the ladies or scare the children.

In one of them, I'm in "police mode", in shorts and jungle boots with flak vest, grenade vest TC helmet and grenade launcher, fresh from clearing a bunch of the locals off of our strongpoint. I got so I could judge the wind at 200 meters, and then drop a teargas grenade in just the right spot to move them along.

Good times...
I wouldn't say that'd be a bad pic, tho :).

I see you use the Vandoren one-screw lig Jacques. It's my fav, on all my Saxes & clarinets. So easy to adjust on the fly, especially when you're in the pit.
Yes indeed, perfect and reliable. Not to hijack the thread but have you noticed how obviously the different pressure pads modify the sound ? This is a contribution to the famous sax-controversy No 34: "ligs have no infliuence on the sound". But let's stop here and back to the pics...
J

Back
Top Bottom