Favorite alto Meyer Type Piece

Favorite Meyer or Meyer Clone

• Total voters

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
The Meyer on alto is kinda the jazz standard. Just curious which flavor of this mouthpiece people prefer.

Real New York Meyers are very hard to find. So hard, in fact that I don't have one in the facing I like. However the best alto mouthpiece I ever played was a really awful looking New York 6M.

I also like the Meyer New York USA mouthpieces and some of the new ones too. In the newer mouthpieces I like the small chamber - a little more zip in this loud world. I have a 7 and an 8, and they measure almost the same.

Whoa.
I got mine shortly before the "jump" last time.
New from Junkdude, think I paid $140 for the 6M.
Long after many had purchased theirs.
If I am not mistaken,the last increase was shortly after Ralph passed away.

I happened upon mine before people started figuring out how good the pieces are. I'm not really into that sound though for myself.

Some people swear by these look at this eBay ad today captured below because in a month it'll be gone:

1940'S MEYER BROS NEW YORK 5M ALTO MPC

Starting bid: US $3,500.00
---------
End time: Oct-04-08 20:44:32 PDT (2 days 12 hours)
Shipping costs: Free
US Postal Service Express Mail®
Service to United States
(more services)
Ships to: N. and S. America, Europe, Asia, Australia
Item location: Clayton, New Jersey, United States
History: 0 bids

Description (revised)

This is it, the HOLY GRAIL of alto mouthpieces!

New York Meyer Bros. 5M MEDIUM chamber alto mouthpiece, WITH ORIGINAL BOX. This piece is in 99% near mint condition and is absolutely gorgeous. Check out all the pictures, see the cloudy look on the table? That's how you know the piece is ORIGINAL and NOT refaced. I have measured the curves of the piece and they are stock Meyer Bros. The tip measures .072 on my gauge. All of the gold lettering is intact.

These Meyer Bros. 5m MEDIUM chamber alto pieces are the BEST in the world. A colorful, rich sonority with incredible ease of playing and excellent projection capabilities. Think Phil Woods!! There are so many "Meyer Bros. copies" out in the world of mouthpieces today, but none of them live up to the REAL THING. There's a reason these still sell for big bucks while the imitators have come and gone.

About 2 months ago, Theo sold one of these for $4,000. It wasn't nearly in as good condition as this one, nor did it have the original box. I'm offering this piece in better condition, with an ORIGINAL BOX, for a lesser price.

Don't be fooled by sellers listing small and large chamber Meyer Bros. pieces. Alto players want the MEDIUM chamber. If you've ever played them side by side, you know what I'm talking about. Nothing compares to a Meyer Bros. 5M medium chamber alto mouthpiece.

I had to check Paypal for this auction, but I will accept money order, check, or bankwire. I have 100% feedback and deal only in saxophones and mouthpieces. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Shipping is FREE worldwide, however I will not ship to India, Nigeria, or Italy because of all the scams. Thank you and good luck!

When the auction ends, contact me and I will give you my bank info.

I am not an expert on older (or newer, for that matter) Meyer mouthpieces, but I'm wondering how we would know the piece shown in the eBay-auction photos is the vaunted New York model as opposed to any of the current Meyer mouthpieces. I have no intention of bidding/buying this piece . . . just curious.

I have two Meyer alto pieces now and have had others. I prefer my Meyer 6S-Medium Chamber over all other alto mouthpieces. The 6M-Medium Chamber I had did not play very well for me. A 7M-Small Chamber plays decently but not as well as the 6S-M.

The boxes that came with my pieces look exactly like the one shown in the auction's photos. The only difference I see in the photos of the mouthpiece is the way the tip-opening/lay numbers are placed on the piece, compared to the "info in a diamond" markings that are on mine. Is THAT the indicator of a "NY Meyer"?

But again, the guy who wrote this auction makes many assumptions in his commentary, assumptions with which I disagree. Mouthpieces are very personal and those claims don't get it, in my opinion. Pure marketing - little fact. DAVE

I am not an expert on older (or newer, for that matter) Meyer mouthpieces, but I'm wondering how we would know the piece shown in the eBay-auction photos is the vaunted New York model as opposed to any of the current Meyer mouthpieces. I have no intention of bidding/buying this piece . . . just curious.

I have two Meyer alto pieces now and have had others. I prefer my Meyer 6S-Medium Chamber over all other alto mouthpieces. The 6M-Medium Chamber I had did not play very well for me. A 7M-Small Chamber plays decently but not as well as the 6S-M.

The boxes that came with my pieces look exactly like the one shown in the auction's photos. The only difference I see in the photos of the mouthpiece is the way the tip-opening/lay numbers are placed on the piece, compared to the "info in a diamond" markings that are on mine. Is THAT the indicator of a "NY Meyer"?

But again, the guy who wrote this auction makes many assumptions in his commentary, assumptions with which I disagree. Mouthpieces are very personal and those claims don't get it, in my opinion. Pure marketing - little fact. DAVE
Funny, I was thinking that it would be hard to tell if the piece in question was really vintage. I guess we'll never know.

The old New York Meyers are shorter (stubbier), fatter (require a different lig) and the facing marks are on the side - no diamond on the facing.

However, there are still the variations common to hand made mouthpieces. I can't bring myself to pay enormous amounts of money for any mouthpiece I can't play without a return policy

While I'm sure it's a great playing piece I would recommend that most people spend a couple of hundred on a Morgan 5M and $3300 on lessons.

Back
Top Bottom