Favorite pit gig.

Carl H.

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Mine would be doing Sweet Charity in college. There was a dance rail set across the entire width of the stage right at the lip of the pit. Good tunes, Good musicians, good view.

Second place would be a run of West side story where, to break the monotony, the conductor did the entire second half in 3 one night. I still smile at that one.

Once On this Island IMHO. The alto flute and soprano saxophone parts were a killer to play, but well worth the learn(flute,piccolo, and clarinet parts were a lot easier to play).

THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE is my favorite. Just finished a run of it this summer. A good mix of all my horns, and good '20's style jazz and Dixieland.

Tintypes

Tintypes, the turn-of-the-century review, was one of my favorites. We had a small orchestra: piano, trombone, drums, and me (flute/picc/clarinet).

They had us down-stage left in a gazebo, so we were featured the entire show. We even played a few Joplin things before the show to warm up the crowd. I heard at one afternoon performance an older lady had tears in her eyes as we played.

42nd Street

Another one of my favorites is 42nd Street. Great writing for the pit! You can tell the writers wanted us to have fun because the Exit Music goes on and on with one great arrangement after another.

Our pit had so much fun doing this show that even though we were only supposed to wear concert black, we all agreed to show up for the final performance in tuxedos.

Another one of my favorites is 42nd Street. Great writing for the pit! You can tell the writers wanted us to have fun because the Exit Music goes on and on with one great arrangement after another.

Our pit had so much fun doing this show that even though we were only supposed to wear concert black, we all agreed to show up for the final performance in tuxedos.

I hate it when all those girls drop those dimes though!

I wasn't in the pit, but the experience was almost the same as Carl for 'Will Rogers Follies'. The costumes didn't allow for even a dance belt or a thong, and it had quite a long runway. 'Let's go flyin' Will!!!!'

Back
Top Bottom