Flatulence on Bass Clarinet low A - What could be the cause?

Okay, maybe not flatulence, but you know that weird wobbly sound you get at the lowest notes of the instrument? I know it's a very common beginner problem but... Er, you know what, let's start over.

I'm an Alto Sax player recently converted to Bass Clarinet (Yesterday actually).

I've been trying to follow the A Tune A Day for Bb Clarinets, and everything was fine until I reached the lesson that teaches low A. It is the first note that gives me this wobble thing. Again, I know it's a very common beginner problem - my problem is that my instrument is rented, and while playing I've noticed various annoying kinks in it, especially around the register key. So now I'm paranoid that the problem is the instrument (I had a similar issue with the low B on my Sax - one of the valves was not completely closing). Another thing that got me suspicious is the fact that if I go lower, to G or F, the notes sound much better.

So, my question is, assuming this Bass Clarinet is exactly like a normal clarinet, and assuming I'm trying to play a low A, which is T + 123 on left hand + 12 on right hand, which valve, not held down by my fingers, could explain this?

I am using no2 Rico Royal Bb Bass Clarinet reeds.

Thank you! :)

What model is your bass?
Has it been serviced before you got it?
Do other players have the same problem?

Could be that the G key (one hole down from the A) is not opening enough, or that the Ab key (on the left side seen from playing position) is not sufficiently sprung shut.

Remove the bell, put a children's party balloon over the bell side tenon and try to inflate it via mouthpiece and all fingers down. If you hear hissing noises or can't inflate the balloon at all, then you have a leak somewhere.

The pad to start suspecting if you don't pick up a leak is the one closed by the third finger right hand touchpiece. Usually, this key is a pivoting lever one, located on the side of the instrument below the right hand little finger keys.

It could be caused by a cut through pad surface, partially closing the tone hole below it. It's easy enough to check, just by turning the horn on its side and 'fingering' the pad surface, which will show up the detached pad leather right quick.

(Since this is a clarinet issue (well, a bass clarinet issue), and since Sax, the inventor of the modern bass clarinet was from the Francophone portion of Belgium, perhaps I should say toute suite...)

However, first do the leak test. Always suspect a leak as the cause of a bass clarinet problem. Hell, if some malicious, out of her mind oboist whacked my reed with her reed knife, I'd still suspect a leak before testing for anything else.

And, watch out for potential damage to the lower joint keys. The slightest of impacts down there can cause you a world of trouble.

Lot of educated guesses, but I'd start by having a bass clarinet player check out your horn. There are just TOO MANY variables here. Save yourself some time and get it checked out via a friend or *gasp* music instructor. You could be beating yourself up and it's all about the mouthpiece, reed, or instrument. Good luck! :)

It could be a leak, though it's not very likely that a leak affect just the low A while notes around it are fine. Unless pressing the G key means you suddenly also pressing the A key with more force, for example, overcoming that leak if it was from the A key. There are other cases where it would still be a leak but needs to be checked.

A likely possibility that was mentioned is something to do with the G/D key. Maybe it's too low, pad is torn, etc. A too low pad woudl affect the A but not the G or any other note where this key is closed. It might have a far smaller effect on B and/or Bb (or not) but probably very little if any.

Do you also notice an equivalent problem in the higher register, just the E having a problem with notes above and below it playing fine? Thoguh after just one day it's hard to tell.

Hell, if some malicious, out of her mind oboist whacked my reed with her reed knife, I'd still suspect a leak before testing for anything else.

This sounds as though there might be a story here somewhere. I'm intrigued by the "her".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, those are some great ideas!

I'll have to get a balloon from somewhere, though...

About the instrument, it's supposedly a permanent rental at our woodwind store. The bell says "J.Michael Japanese Technology" and nothing else. I checked their site - they sell only one Bass Clarinet model, and it says it has Eb and Bb keys, so I assume that's why it looks to have more keys than my book covers ;) They tested it at their lab before giving it to me, but I assume that even if it had minor problems or leaks, a master player (like the lab guy, he's amazing) should overcome it by sheer force of will. I assume the instrument goes through regular repair - some of the cork pads look new and the leather pads are definitely new-ish.

So yea, I'll wait for the weekend to end, get a balloon, and update with the results.

(I have to say that today the A sounds alot better, but maybe when the thing heats up the problem will return).

Some more info:

1. I can barely play the high register O__o but the G, A and B sound good. The C is squeaky but that's definitely my fault.
2. I'm going to see a pro (and potential tutor) later this week. I wanted to see if I can find the problem with your help first.

http://www.jmichael.jp

They're a Japanese company that has or buys from Chinese factories. Website quote: "All instruments are supervised by our Japanese engineers and are carefully inspected individually before shipping out from factories." The factories are in north China.

As far as I can tell, they've been around for a few years. Brief Googling says that these are average to below average quality instruments and benefit greatly by having a good tech set up the horn before playing. I'd recommend making sure the horn works properly, first, then worry about anything else. If you've only been playing bass clarinet for three days, chances are still very good that you're doing something wrong.

Well, I hadn't gotten around to that balloon yet, but I do have to say the low A has improved magnificently. So yes, I was indeed doing something wrong.

I also noticed that the central connection is so weak that when I play standing up, the weight of the clarinet's upper body half is enough to open a large gap between the two halves. So yeah, the instrument is probably not perfect.

I did see a tutor, but the guy has no idea what a bass clarinet is, so tough luck for me.

I guess I'll return it next week. Thank you all!

There is a lot of call for a sax player (usually the bari sax player) to double on bass clarinet. I love the sound of the bass clarinet but after terrible luck with some nice but cheap instruments, I found that the best cure is a really nice instrument if you can swing it. Given enough time, you can probably get any instrument to play somewhat, but there's nothing quite like a world class instrument that just plays throughout the full range of the instrument.

I will say that had I to do it over, I would NOT have selected a bass clarinet that plays to low C. There is precious little literature written for the extra notes, the added keyworks makes the instrument heavier, and the cost is much higher than a normal bass clarinet.

Good luck!

Thank you!

I am afraid that I really can't affort a proper instrument, since they're so rare here. I guess I'd beat around the bush with the cheapest one I can find that works, and maybe in a few years, when I get a few promotions at work, I'd be able to choose between a better horn or a better car...

We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom