Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Footloose

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Just had a last minute call this a.m. to sub in a production of Footloose at a dramatic arts academy in Toronto.

Knew mostly what to expect, since I've played the show before, but this one had different cuts, different keys and a few charts with completely different lines than the last one I did.

It's mostly tenor - rock & rollish, with written lines up to A3. Decent amount of flute and clarinet as well, and maybe a total of 32 bars of bari.

Fun show, and a nice change from playing the usual jazz influenced Broadway books.

I always get a lot of funny looks when I tell others that I'm familiar with this or that Broadway show, whereupon they start trying to get information as to what goes on on stage. While I can (literally) recite long stretches of dialog from a number of shows (Hello, Dolly!, Forum, Sound Of Music and others), I've usually got no idea what is going on up on the stage.

One exception was the stage show at the amusement park. But, that's part of the Hollerith card story, and I don't have time for that today...

When I've played gigs and had the opportunity, I liked to go and hear the group play/sing/perform without me, so I could have an idea of everything that was going on. It's not always practical to do this, but I think it enhances your experience.

Back
Top Bottom