Free Reeds?

Maybe I'm the suspicious type but the perceived benefit (a few free reeds) isn't enough to offset the potential risks. I'll buy my reeds from legit sources, thank you. DAVE

Totally agreed.

A bunch of my friends have done it but I haven't heard the results.

Has anyone received any of these "free reeds" yet?

I'm with Dave, a suspicious type by nature. I subscribe to "There's no such thing as a free lunch" motto.

I'm not sure that there's any risk in this per say given who the company is, but I just don't want to be on one more mailing list for anything I don't want/need/intend to ever buy.

......and? did you try them?

Finally, last night I stuck them on my sop, alto, tenor, and bari. What a different feel. They are louder, WTH!?!? And fuzzier. I luv it on the sop and hate it on the tenor. And since subtoning is something I've been working on tenor, I really tried to make it work for the tenor. First I tried my Vandoran ZZs and then a new M.A.R.C.A. Big difference.

But I really want my instructor to give them a try. Maybe they'll play differently today? I am flummoxed as to why they are different. The size dimensions are the same (to the naked eye). :???:

That sounds interesting. I can't wait to check them out.

I wonder when I'll get mine?

One very good use for Marcas - The bass sax reeds are very wide, like the old Vandorens. If you are using an ancient Conn bass sax mouthpiece, the new Vandoren bass sax reeds and many others are not wide enough, but Marcas work just fine. I've found the Marca bass sax reeds to be among the best, although they run a little stiff.

If you check the bass sax recordings on my Myspace page, the recording of "Body and Soul" was played using a Marca #1 bass sax reed.

I tried Marcas four or five yrs ago, they were ok, sorta like a mix betweeen Rico orange box & LaVoz....slightly bright & buzzy I thought on my Mark VII alto. I still prefer Hemke's over most everything with Rico coming in second, but my experience with Marcas is probably not the same as others, everyone's different. However, for free I probably have some Bueschers they'd work on.

Now an updated report. I used the MARCA reed on alto sax for a three hour gig. It was not a good experience. The reeds go very soft, very fast.

My chops, which usually *never* bother me, gave out. The MARCA reeds remind me of the Glotin reeds, great out of the box, but soften up very fast. It's gotta be about the thinness of the reed. I didn't find a bad reed in the eight or so they sent me for sop, alto, and bari sax. But they have to last.

Back
Top Bottom