Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Full 1935 Catalog

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator

Attachments

• 1935BuescherCatalog.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 443
Nice pic and quote from Santy Runyon.

Some observations, for what they are worth:

• The photo of the Brown brother in full vaudeville regalia wouldn't stand muster these days
(I have a biography of the Brown Brothers. The main conclusions that I drew from reading it were 1) early saxophone playing was pretty corny, and 2) bass saxophones are always good for a laugh. Also, never let a record-collecting trumpet player write a biography of saxophone players.)

• Where are the bass trombones?

• I've tried both tenor and baritone Buescher saxophones, and I've really wanted to like them. But, the keywork is too funky, and the resistance just isn't right for me.

I tend to agree with Terry on the Buescher baris: the keywork on the late Buescher True Tone I played didn't feel that great and a low A wasn't even an option. The tone and intonation, however, were exceptional. (Do remember that I used Sigurd Rascher mouthpieces, which were essentially old Buescher designs, so a mouthpiece might make a difference.)

Thanks Pete for that great bit of nostalgia. The older I get the more I appreciate old things. Imagine that. I never knew Buescher made such a wide range of different instruments.

I've got an old Buescher sales book, too. I've been meaning to scan it, sometime.

Back
Top Bottom