Get Faster Cheap

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
First, "SSD" stands for "solid state drive." It's a hard drive that has no moving mechanical parts.

I have SSDs in one of my work computers and my "main" home computer. When I put an SSD in my main computer, I did get a small bump in speed over a mechanical hard drive, but I didn't notice it much other than if I was copying a large file or if I was running antimalware software on the drive. That was essentially the same for my work machine.

Anyhow, I was running out of space, so I replaced my main computer's SSD with a bigger one, which meant I had a smaller one to play with. I decided to put it in my early 2009 Macbook Pro (SATA II, Core 2 Duo, 2.66Ghz, 4gb RAM).

Incredible difference. Boot time is about 5 seconds and everything seems snappier. Additionally, the computer is now almost completely silent because I have no mechanical hard drive noise.

The odd thing is that the specs on my work iMac that has an SSD and my Macbook have almost identical specs -- both are SATA II and the drive's SATA II. The iMac's got a faster processor, too -- and the Macbook had a much more noticeable bump in speed.

The end-all of this is that if you want to do any of the following ...

* Have a nice bump in speed
* Have extended battery life
* Make your computer a bit quieter

... replace that mechanical hard drive with an SSD. If you happen to have a desktop and you have SATA I or II, get a SATA III card (and SATA III hard drive) and you'll see even more of a speed increase.

Price? My 90gb OCZ SSD was $50. Sale, of course, but SATA II drives are even cheaper. A cheap SATA III (6.0Gb/s) card is $20.

After my very first hard drive failure...

...I converted both of us to SSD computers. Everything is backed up to an alternating hard drive backup through Time Machine, but we never deal with hard drives directly any longer.

Times change, and we need to change with them, even if it does cost us good money.

I've had an SSD in my work laptop for about 6 months now. Didn't make much difference to boot times - cos my windows 'profile' which includes a pile of junk cos Java resides there takes forever to load off the lan.

I might try one in the kids machine, but before I do that they have to de-install all their games from C and re-rinstall on D, where I told them to put them in the first place...

Back
Top Bottom