Giving them what they want

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
So you are hired to play multiple instruments, and it's a tough gig. What should you do?

The most important consideration is - What do they want from me?

Don't be yourself - strive to be what they want. Sometimes you are the best player available, sometimes not. In any event, be what they want you to be, and learn fast! Your skills as a doubler will pay off now.

amen to that bud. Got hired last year to play the bassoon book for Into the Woods, I am everything but a bassoon player... Well better that than oboe... Just kept trucking, sounding like crap the first rehearsal but it cleaned up once I got my reed tweaked by a buddy.

adaptability is everything

I got invited to a gig after about 6 people turned them down. It required four instruments (bari, alto, clarinet, and bass clarinet) and the parts ranged from fun to just plain hard.

It was a two week theater run of a USO show and there were beautiful dancers and singers. And the tenor sax next to me was hot, flashing beautiful legs in a split leg dress.

But the coolest part was all I had to do was show up with my stuff unlike when it's my band and I need to fill a trailer with all the stands, fronts, audio equipment and trombone stools, etc. What freedom! :cool:

Oh, and after agonizing about how I did on the three bari sax solos, they asked me back for next year. I, of course said that it depended upon when the second tenor was going to be there again. ;)

It was a two week theater run of a USO show and there were beautiful dancers and singers. And the tenor sax next to me was hot, flashing beautiful legs in a split leg dress.
Just remember that your wife has an account here ....

Ah, yes. Musicians' perks. I had a few a couple of nights ago. I'm over sixty years old, but I'm not dead!

Back
Top Bottom