Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Got my Stratford Contract for 2009!

Wow, so that mean's I'm off the hook for loaning you my Eppie. Whew! :cool:

Congrats.

Ha!

I got asked to do the Reed III book on a short run production in Toronto during February, but the money was hilarious, given the eight horns in the book. I'd still like to do a small show on oboe/EH this year as well though.

I got my copy of the book yesterday, and there's some hair-raising changes of instrument and musical acrobatics:

The Dance at the Gym Blues has a change from bass sax to picc with 2 bars of medium tempo 12/8 to do it in. The bass part is one of the rangier parts I've seen

America has some really high flute in unison with the other flutes...then the same thing on picc!

Cool goes from flute to soprano to flute to bass sax back to flute and back to bass! There's flutter tonguing on the flute and bass sax parts. The bass part tops out at E3.

The Rumble has more altissimo Gb's for clarinet than I've seen in a long time. There's a switch to bass sax, then a long rest and one last ppp high Eb on picc!

The Taunting Scene has lots of accented altissimo G's and F's on clarinet.

There's no music after the Finale. No exit, or bows.

I'm really happy for you Merlin. That couldn't have worked out better! Congrats!

How is your bass coming along these days? Just as an aside, perhaps you could start an album for yourself. Put the "befores" in, & then the "along the ways", and finally "afters". It would be rather interesting to see the little beastie, as it is coming along in the process of getting back into playing condition.

How is your bass coming along these days? Just as an aside, perhaps you could start an album for yourself. Put the "befores" in, & then the "along the ways", and finally "afters". It would be rather interesting to see the little beastie, as it is coming along in the process of getting back into playing condition.

I've got some before shots, but I turned the horn over to Kevin Rohm to work on.

He's certainly had some interesting updates thus far.

Who/where does Kevin Rohm for? I take it he's in TO? Is he the one that you took you last bass to for service?

I'm thinking it would be really interesting to put together a listing of names of techs in Canada, who have expertise in working on vintage bass saxophones. There are so few bass saxes in the country, that there are likely more techs than horns! ;-)

Who/where does Kevin Rohm for? I take it he's in TO? Is he the one that you took you last bass to for service?

I'm thinking it would be really interesting to put together a listing of names of techs in Canada, who have expertise in working on vintage bass saxophones. There are so few bass saxes in the country, that there are likely more techs than horns! ;-)

Kevin is the head tech at Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill. He and Ian Pritchard, who also works there do my saxes. Both have worked on various horns I've owned. Ian rebuilt two old Conns for me, and did a lot of work on the Conn 12M I used to own.

Kevin also worked on my bass clarinet and installed a high E facilitator (donut type) on my flute.

If memory serves there is a hellish page turn in the middle of that. I have only subbed on that book, not done it for a full run, and it was with a high school, but I seem to remember that as a weird page turn.

Why? Are you required to dance the part too? I'm not sure I understand why memorizing helps.

1. bad page turns

2. if it's memorized, it's really internalized, and you're less likely to screw it up.

3. it frees you up to listen to the tuning with the other piccs

Merlin, are you still a Jupiter artist?

Just wondering since I recently acquired Jupiter baritone (593), alto (869SG) and soprano (847SG) saxes and a Jupiter clarinet (YCL731). While researching Jupiters I stumbled across an old post about you being a Jupiter artist.

Rob

Merlin, are you still a Jupiter artist?

Just wondering since I recently acquired Jupiter baritone (593), alto (869SG) and soprano (847SG) saxes and a Jupiter clarinet (YCL731). While researching Jupiters I stumbled across an old post about you being a Jupiter artist.

Rob

Yes, though you made me realize that I don't have it in my sig line here.

I'm using a Jupiter Parisienne clarinet, Artist model soprano and Demedici flute on West Side Story this year.

We had the first orchestra read through for WSS yesterday. Twenty-five bodies plus conductor. Sounds good already. I'm glad I memorized the picc and flute parts for America and the Mambo.

25 :eek:)!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom