Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Great Sight-reading Resource

Merlin said:
Thanks for pointing out that link. There's also some PDF excerpts on the Oslo Philharmonic site.
Merlin, you probably have auditioned for some major jobs. Can you talk to the sight-reading component of these auditions? Do you have any examples of materials used for an audition?

Gandalfe said:
Merlin said:
Thanks for pointing out that link. There's also some PDF excerpts on the Oslo Philharmonic site.
Merlin, you probably have auditioned for some major jobs. Can you talk to the sight-reading component of these auditions? Do you have any examples of materials used for an audition?

:emoji_smile:

Never.

Nearly every gig I've ever had is as a result of subbing in for someone else, then eventually getting the calls due to either availability, attitude, or performance level.

I read well, no doubt. The important distinction in the areas I work is not just reading well, but making music in the process.

I've gotta think about that.

Now, while I used to have mad sight-reading skillz -- primarily because my job was to play whatever Bb or Eb/F part wasn't covered in my various church ensembles -- I really don't think anyone has asked me to sightread outside of a first rehearsal. And I've played more than a couple gigs.

I'm going to agree with Merlin's eloquent comment.

Interesting link, tho. Most definitely.

Back
Top Bottom