Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Great Video of two Slide Saxes

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
The Beau Hunks Saxophone Soctette from the Netherlands ("de Kleine Komedie", Amsterdam nov 2000). This orchestra, modelled on the Paul Whiteman's Sax Soctette (1938-1939), is dedicated to preserving works of forgotten American pioneering composers and arrangers. In this piece the slide-saxophone is used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgDg3lCj_k

What a great find Jim! Thanks for sharing that.

Yes, I know Randy owns one. I connected him with the original seller. I guess I enabled his G.A.S. :emoji_rage:

Why should I be the only one attending the weekly G.A.S.aholics meetings? ;)

Interesting to hear one of these (I hadn't until now). Many thanks for posting.

I don't plan on running out and buying an extant example anytime soon either quite honestly. If I owned a dog, it would be howling in unison with that kazoo like sound right about now. DEFINITELY a mere novelty

DEFINITELY a mere novelty
We've got another thread here, someplace, where I mention that there were a couple orchestral-type pieces written for the slide sax. So it's "novelty" in the truest sense of the word: new and different. Considering their current popularity, though, I'd say the invention didn't live up to its potential.

Considering their current popularity, though, I'd say the invention didn't live up to its potential.
This demonstration reveals (painfully) the fact that this instrument has a pretty low ceiling of potential as a serious instrument, or so it would appear. :D

Well, there were several different make and models and each looked very different. No standardization generally means "preliminary results only: your mileage may differ."

The quality of the instruments were also a bit suspect. You could have fairly expensive and fairly well made and you could have "toy for the kiddies" quality.

Back
Top Bottom