Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Grenadilla Wood, Environmental Effects, and Organic Bore Oil

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Brought to my attention by musician and repairman Steve Nelson, who should be joining us shortly on this forum:

Grenadilla Wood, Environmental Effects, and Organic Bore Oil
by Larry R. Naylor

Eventually many of us will face the reality of deterioration of grenadilla and other wooden instruments. Some of us can use our favorite instrument for many years before its performance becomes unacceptable, while others have to replace their instruments more frequently. Some of us actually replace instruments every year or two!

Obvious indications of deterioration include cracks and raised grain in the bore. Less obvious problems include a deteriorating scale, increasing intonation problems, and declining resonance. Tuning pitch may drop below A-440 tuning. Often, one declares an instrument "played out" or "blown out" when these problems become extreme enough.

What can a performer do to avoid or even reverse this deterioration? I would like to share my attempts to answer this question. I will draw upon over 28 years of empirical data I have accumulated involving the use and effects of organic vegetable oils on grenadilla and rosewood.

Read more at Larry's site...

Pressure would also make a difference. I'm also not sure how "saturated" you can make an instrument after it's been sanded and otherwise finished.

For what it's worth, I'm very, very wary of "new" processes that are supposed to make my instruments play better/last longer/etc.

I'd like to see a large data set of horns that were treated compared to those that weren't.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm just saying that this doesn't convince me.

Many top level techs state that you never need to oil a clarinet, that includes Moennig (if i recall correctly).

For me, I look at the barrel first. If the top most socket starts becoming dry it's time for an oiling. Of course, I also oil in general too to make sure the wood is stable. I've always used a Almond based oil (I believe naylor uses a Linseed based oil). I have noticed tonal qualities differences right after oiling (while the oil is still in there) but i'm unsure how much of a lingering effect that has (unless it was really dry).

We have to remember that a clarinet is made of wood, and as Naylors site going in much detail about this, we just have to be careful about our wood clarinets over time. Of course creating imperical data on this would be difficult, as instruments are used in a variety of situations, weather conditions, playing time, et all.

I know when I receive I clarinet I usually play test it. but then not only does it get a good body oiling it also gets new pads so before and after comparisons cannot really be done.

I have ordered a new product out there, a "Grenadilla oil" to rejuvinate the originality of the wood. It's expensive but it should be interesting.

FYI, when a body gets "ebonized" it's also kinda a waterproofing.

Does anyone use mineral oil for oiling. Lineseed oil is nasty stuff that I wouldn't want to get anywhere near (or am I thinking tung oil).

I use mineral oil on the oak floors in our house as it is a) non-toxic and 2) cheap and 3) effective.

As soon as Steve Nelson (he has had walking pnemonia for two weeks now) gets on board, we should get him to talk on this subject. He's the pro and works with a fellow (wrote the article below) to come up with cost worthy solutions in this space.

Gandalfe said:
As soon as Steve Nelson (he has had walking pnemonia for two weeks now) gets on board, we should get him to talk on this subject. He's the pro and works with a fellow (wrote the article below) to come up with cost worthy solutions in this space.
Gandalfe, I think what Steve's saying is that in THAT quote you don't have an "article below". You have an "article above" :p.

It's still Grenadilla Wood, Environmental Effects, and Organic Bore Oil by Larry R. Naylor.

pete said:
Gandalfe, I think what Steve's saying is that in THAT quote you don't have an "article below". You have an "article above" :p.

It's still Grenadilla Wood, Environmental Effects, and Organic Bore Oil by Larry R. Naylor.
Doh, I have to remember that I view the newest post first (an option in your user settings) as it allows me to not have to wade through the old comments. Most people don't use this setting. Many Admins and Mods do.

I'm thinking Jim should ban you just for fun! :p

Oh yeah and before anyone gets any smart ideas about banning me - keep this in mind - I have the admin username and password.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. And WHO works for a computer monopoly that probably has access to code that can take away those admin privies?

It relates to banning, at the very least. That's my favorite subject. Why else did you think I asked to become an admin? C'mon.

SteveSklar said:
pete said:
Hmmm. And WHO works for a computer monopoly that probably has access to code that can take away those admin privies?

and how does all this relate to bore oil ??
Sorry we tend to go off topic . . . the three of us. Or at least Pete and I.
Has anyone given any further thought to using mineral oil? It's food grade safe. I don't recommend you drink it as it is a laxative.

Back
Top Bottom