Gumbo Ya Ya Festival in Rock Island, IL

This one:

Hurricane Gumbo

Combining the elements of rhythm & blues, zydeco, jazz, and funk, the eight musicians who compose Hurricane Gumbo may be based in Chicago, but their sound is pure Louisiana. They play both New Orleans favorites and originals with such titles as "Congo Square," "What Is Hip?", and one that seems to fit the group to a tee - "Too Much Fun."

Which one are you?
7.jpg

That's us. I'm not in that picture, but my ugly mug shows up in some of the gig pictures in their gallery.

I usually play bari with them when they beef up the horn section, but I'm subbing for the alto player tomorrow. I may bring the bari beast along as well.

You couldn't get them to book you for next weekend too could you? Thats when I'll be in the area.

You couldn't get them to book you for next weekend too could you? Thats when I'll be in the area.

No - Ya Ya fest only comes once a year. The headline acts were fantastic - Dikky Du and the Zydeco Crewe, and Roddy Romero and the Hub City All Stars, although neither had a horn section. Dikky has one, but didn't bring them due to the expense.

Be sure to check out the Rock Island Brewing Company - great microbrews and live Dixieland till 3 AM. The whole area they call The District is very cool - lots of good pubs and restaurants, many with live entertainment.

When I used to live in the area I played regularly with their symphony. Now I just come down and do their pops concerts.

I'll be leaving this Thursday for a gig up the road from there in Cedar Rapids. I'll be in the area for about 12 days. Would've liked to get there and hear you play, but scheduling is tight as it is. A good friend of mine passed away this winter and the band we both played in is giving a memorial concert that Thursday night up in Dubuque. Unfortunately I won't make it in time for that either.

There is a lot going on in that region musically. I hope you have good weather and a nice time while there.

Back
Top Bottom