H. Klose, big disappointment

So on all the woodwinds I play, I'm going back to basics. With my "adult" understanding of music, I have reopened the H. Klose book, and I must say, I'm greatly disappointed with the writing. I've edited the first 4 etudes from this book, and I find the writing lacks musicality.

I cannot call this a finger exercise book, because the specific figures only last 2 to 4 bars, and while the notes do extend over a good portion of the range, especially in the low end, it is not consistent enough to warrant it as such.

Harmonically it is severely lacking in musicality. The places where it would be musically acceptible to breath are few and far between. I understand this could be to exercise breath control, however, even in the places where it is acceptable to breathe, there still lack finality in the phrase preceding, and opening in the phrase after.

Additionally, this whole of this book, aside from a few choice numbers, are in the key of C.

All things considered, I am greatly disappointed, and would not use this if I were to teach music in the future.

Well, I've got a copy of Rascher's 24 Intermezzi on the bookshelf. I think it wasn't intended to be as much musical as an instrument to crush saxophone players. Hmm. Double-sharps in the key signature. I guess that's the key of soul-crushing misery ....

All things considered, I am greatly disappointed, and would not use this if I were to teach music in the future.
You are talking about the Sax exercises? Because the Klosé Clarinet method is quite a different beast.

(it would be helpful if you would quote the complete title of a book when you post a review)

You are talking about the Sax exercises? Because the Klosé Clarinet method is quite a different beast.

(it would be helpful if you would quote the complete title of a book when you post a review)

Yes, the sax exercises. I don't know how, but I temporarily forgot about the method book for clarinet.

Back
Top Bottom