Has anyone ever heard of a Bill Street mouthpiece and are they okay?

I know absolutely nothing about mouthpieces. This clarinet I just bought has a Bill Street mouthpiece. Are they any good? Another clarinet player who's english is marginal at best looked at it and made some nice faces and gestures.

Just curious.

You know how it is with a recent acquisition. It's exciting to know that you have at least made a decent purchase.

I really couldn't even tell the difference between mouthpieces at my level. The Hungarian who played the instrument seemed to like the clarinet and seemed to like the mouthpiece. He didn't play it with the mouthpiece but seemed to like it just by looking at it.

So can you shed a little bit of insight as to what kind of mouthpiece would give a darker warmer tone. That is really what I am looking for. I am also using a # 3 reed right now. It is the one that came with the horn. Can you shed some light on reeds also. This Hungarian's english is not very good and it is very difficult to communicate with him.

How do reeds affect the tone? I'll probably stick with the mouthpiece while out here but I might be able to find different reeds somewhere. Should I be using a thicker or thinner reed?

Thanks

So can you shed a little bit of insight as to what kind of mouthpiece would give a darker warmer tone.
Any kind, provided you're playing in Phoenix, at night, during 90% of the year.

I'm not a mouthpiece geek, but I read someone describing my Selmer C85 mouthpiece as "bright." Therefore, it's the darkest bright mouthpiece I've ever played. I very much like the response. It's pretty easy-blowing.

Bill Street's webpage is here. I did a brief Google on him and his mouthpieces are "rare" and "studio quality" (according to the Clarinet BB) with a used one selling around $80.

I am also using a # 3 reed right now. It is the one that came with the horn. Can you shed some light on reeds also.
I'm hoping you're not saying you're using a used reed. If you are, have a blood test taken and clean the mouthpiece with soap and warm (not hot) water.

The strength of the reed you use is dictated by how you play (embochure), the style of music you play and the mouthpiece/ligature you have. Oh. Different reed manufacturers vary a bit in strength, too, and my experience says that Vandoren reeds tend to be the hardest.

You might want to browse our Beginner's Forum for some further ideas.

Back
Top Bottom