Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Hello from Canada

TMHeimer

Tom Heimer
I joined a while ago, but just saw this sub forum recently. Former Band Director, mostly in Thompson, (northern) Manitoba (500 miles N. of Winnipeg). Professional clarinetist since 1973. Native of Yonkers, NY but Canadian citizen now. Won't bore you with all the places I've played/soloed--can check out Tom Heimer on LinkedIn if you like. Last 13 years I've been into scuba diving since we moved to Nova Scotia, and worked a while as a Divemaster.
My book, "The Most Advanced Clarinet Book" was released in April, 2018. You can find PDF samples at the publisher's site --- austinmacauley.com My own site for the book is tomheimer.ampbk.com/
I look forward to more conversing on this fine site.

Welcome Tom. I think I will check out that book of yours. Kudos for the publishing achievement, many of us talk about our book, but rare is the actual book that gets published.
Thanks very much. The publisher is a "hybrid"--that is, as a new author I had to pay some (about $3K in US $), but they do all the marketing, which I am pretty much incapable of and have no interest in doing. Am hoping it will find it's way into brick & mortar music shops. That's the way I accumulated a gazillion method books. Maybe things have changed and more people look online.

Maybe things have changed and more people look online.
I know that my trumpet section with more than a few software devs there all use iPads for their music. And their music spans multiple ensembles from my jazz band to smaller groups and bigger concert bands and orchestras. I just don't trust that way of keeping my music. Plus it is time intensive to copy all that music.

It does look weird to see their books from the back of the band such as in this photo taken earlier this month:

FromTheBackCropped.png

Here you see the electronic books in the back row and tabbed binders in the sax row. Still, and this crosses my mind all the time, if someone loses an analog book with over 200 charts in it, that's gonna be hours of my time to recreate. And two of the charts are not copied to my library yet. Sigh ...

Now if the trumpets lose their iPad, they just go to their cloud repository and download the book to a new device.

Yeah. Of course I Xeroxed music going back to the early '70s. And pretty much recorded all the concerts I conducted and played in since then. You should see my probably thousands of audio cassettes, VHS tapes, even reel to reel tapes and discs. Suitcases full.

I have DVDs and CDs of concerts. But I never really listen to them anymore. Finding what I want is a lesson in patience as I search through my many stashes. I have put some of my favorites on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/Gandalfe/videos). But then I took a 20+ year break from music so my collection of recorded performances probably isn't even 100th what yours is.

I have DVDs and CDs of concerts. But I never really listen to them anymore. Finding what I want is a lesson in patience as I search through my many stashes. I have put some of my favorites on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/Gandalfe/videos). But then I took a 20+ year break from music so my collection of recorded performances probably isn't even 100th what yours is.
I've got a doohickey that looks like a Walkman. You attach it up to the computer and insert an audio cassette. Then you can put it from the computer to another small doohickey. Problem is you have to listen to each tape while the process is going on.

Well you two certainly making me feel better about having programs from just about every concert I've been to since some point in 9th grade! I have video and audio recordings of a noticeable percentage of them, too!

Well you two certainly making me feel better about having programs from just about every concert I've been to since some point in 9th grade! I have video and audio recordings of a noticeable percentage of them, too!
Oh man, Now if you want to talk about PROGRAM collecting...……..I won't even start, but I got them ALL (since like maybe 1966?).

Yeah, but that's a lot of searching work.

Back
Top Bottom