Help ID this vintage Selmer soprano...

DaveKessler

Kessler & Sons Music
Distinguished Member
Reactions: Ed
According to the serial number charts it's on the late end of the Model 26. From what I have read and been told, the Model 26 soprano persisted in Selmer's line for some time.

I have a picture of a horn very much like this one. The picture is in a very early Selmer MKVI catalog, and Selmer was trying to pass it off as the new MKVI!

The horn in the picture was identical to this one, except that it had a bar type deal for the spatula G# key, and it had a lever, bar type key for the side F# key. The same side F# as the SSS horns.

If I had to name this horn, I would call it a large bore.

I'm no Selmer soprano expert even though I once owned one, but I note that VI's have their low C# tone hole on top of the tube, in line with the low B and Bb tone holes. The horn pictured in Dave Kessler's post did not have that low C# positioning. I don't know when Selmer changed the low C# positioning - could it have been with the BA sopranos?

FWIW, I like the C# on top of the tube - that's about the only thing I like about VI sopranos.

Anyway, the serial makes me believe it is from before the SSS era. DAVE

Dave e-mailed me about this.

First, read my old article on the Modele 26 Series -- and yes, this was a series of horns -- at www.saxpics.com/selmer/26.htm

My conclusion, based on the keywork: probably a New Largebore design, but that body tube is probably more Modele 26 than anything. I'd want to check with calipers.

The keywork is significantly different from your standard 26, but it's too old to be a Selmer Super Series horn.

After 1927/8 there were some design changes across the board for the Selmer horns, starting with the fairly unknown Modele 28. After that, there wer horns that had a lot of the look of the New Largebore, but without the bore change and a couple other details, then you got the New Largebore and then the beginning of the Selmer Super Series.

It's involved. It's difficult and it'd help if Selmer *remembered* all the models they made and when :).

OH. NEVER go off the Selmer charts for what model horn you have. It's inaccurate in the extreme. Only use them for a general guesstimate for when your horn was made.

I have a better -- not perfect -- correlation of serial numbers to models at www.saxpics.com/selmer (until the new owners change it, of course), but if someone's got a horn from 1982 that's plainly engraved "Mark VII" (for instance), it's a Mark VII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete, et al: Interesting discussion, at least for me. I went to the links you provided. Much of the discussion seems to address the larger saxophones, e.g. alto and tenor. But do the comments also pertain to straight sopranos?

Is all the talk about "largebore", "new largebore" (implying there used to be "smaller bore") etc., in reference to marketing names (Selmer Model names) or actual bore sizes for sopranos? I noted your comment about not yet measuring any.

Yes, this does partially get back to my obsession with bore-sizes but I think the question is valid. Are we assuming there are bore-size differences merely because Selmer hinted at that in naming their models . . . or are there real differences, especially in sopranos?

Have the earliest Selmer sopranos changed much over time? I note that besides the placement of low C#, the earliest soprano models have the dreaded in-line palm keys just like the VI's. I've seen the same thing on the Balanced Action-era sopranos and the soprano shown in Dave Kessler's link (the in-line palm keys).

I wouldn't be surprised to finally learn that there is little difference from the Modele 22 to the VI. Just my suspicious nature, I 'spose. DAVE

Pete, et al: Interesting discussion, at least for me. I went to the links you provided. Much of the discussion seems to address the larger saxophones, e.g. alto and tenor. But do the comments also pertain to straight sopranos?
I offhandedly mentioned in my e-mail to Mr. Kessler that I rather don't think that the bore changed at all on the soprano, based on comments from Ed. I'm interested that the keywork did, at least.

GENERALLY, when you're talking about model changes, you get the alto first, then the tenor and then, maybe, the other pitches. The only horns I had seen that were identifiably different were the NLB alto and tenor. The C melody, for instance, had no change.

Is all the talk about "largebore", "new largebore" (implying there used to be "smaller bore") etc., in reference to marketing names (Selmer Model names) or actual bore sizes for sopranos? I noted your comment about not yet measuring any.

Yes, this does partially get back to my obsession with bore-sizes but I think the question is valid. Are we assuming there are bore-size differences merely because Selmer hinted at that in naming their models . . . or are there real differences, especially in sopranos?
Bore size. Groovekiller was the one that provided more of the info on the NLB horns and he says that there is an obvious difference in bore size between the 26 alto and the NLB, as there's an obvious difference between the 22 and 26's bore, too (we'll set aside the Modele 28 and the dozen people that have one of those).

I'd like to actually compare the bore sizes of a soprano stamped "Modele 26" and the horn Mr. Kessler's talking about. As I said, my opinion is that you won't see a bore change, thus it'd be more accurate just to call it a "Modele 26-Series" horn.

Oh. Because I didn't post it here, but did in the letter I sent to Mr. Kessler, we are talking about "series" of horns. The Mark VI is the sixth series of saxophones from Selmer:

* Modele 22 Series (low B and low Bb versions)
* Modele 26 Series (26, 28, NLB)
* Selmer Super Series (Super, "Cigar Cutter", Radio Improved, Jimmy Dorsey)
* Balanced Action (lots of neck and keywork experimentation)
* Super Action (keywork, bow and bell experimentation)
* Mark VI (keywork, bow, bell and possibly brass composition experimentation)

Have the earliest Selmer sopranos changed much over time? I note that besides the placement of low C#, the earliest soprano models have the dreaded in-line palm keys just like the VI's. I've seen the same thing on the Balanced Action-era sopranos and the soprano shown in Dave Kessler's link (the in-line palm keys).

I wouldn't be surprised to finally learn that there is little difference from the Modele 22 to the VI. Just my suspicious nature, I 'spose. DAVE
Ed insists there is very little change on the bore of the Selmer soprano. I'm non-committal. Remember that Selmer also denies they ever made a curved soprano, much less a Mark VII soprano, and that's also something that should be checked.

There are obvious keywork changes between the soprano models. That makes a degree of difference, but only a degree. I tend to say that the bore makes a major difference, but we should also look at the placement of the toneholes.

Well regardless, an interesting horn nonetheless. Too bad there is just no for sure way to know. I plan on trying to get some sortof "official" opinion from Selmer Paris on it, but my guess is that they wont know either!

:)

It's interesting.

I've heard some folks that get fairly outlandish, off-the-wall answers from Selmer about stuff like ....

* "We never produced a curved soprano, so you don't have a Selmer." Ummm. These pictures say otherwise.
* "We never produced a Mark VII sopranino, soprano, baritone or bass." I've found pictures of all these but the bass.
* (When presented with a picture of a Selmer New York.) "The horn you have is a Modele 22."

However, I've also heard of reports like ....

* "The Mark VI with the serial number you gave us was overhauled and relacquered on June 22, 1960."
* (Regarding a horn with a very close serial number and appearance that made it hard to determine.) "Based on our records, your horn was marketed and sold as a Super 80."

Just remember that Selmer doesn't officially acknowledge that they produced a model called "Modele 28" or "New Largebore." IIRC, they just recently added "Jimmy Dorsey" to their list.

In other words, you might get an official answer, but it still might not be a correct one.

If you do get a good answer, first, share it with the group and second, write the person back and ask what the difference between the M- and N-serial number Mark VIs is. Then ask the same question about the Mark VII :).

Back
Top Bottom