Help Me Identify the Model Number of this Clarinet

Hi, I am new to this forum and am interested in purchasing a Buffet Crampon clarinet for my daughter. I found this one with photos attached. There is no model number but there is a serial number, Made In France as shown. Could you help me? Thanks In Advance

Attachments

• m289980402_1.jpg
    m289980402_1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,251
  • m289980402_2.jpg
    m289980402_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,155
  • m289980402_3.jpg
    m289980402_3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,320
  • m289980402_4.jpg
    m289980402_4.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,208
I also found this Buffet Crampon with no model number, serial number as shown.

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 2,319
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 1,724
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,132
Last edited by a moderator:
That first one looks nice. I see woodgrain!

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, "seeing woodgrain" doesn't really mean much. There are a lot of wooden clarinets that aren't good and there are a lot of plastic clarinets that look wooden if the lighting's right.

Anyhow, you might want to take more pictures of the horn to help us out a bit. I really can't see much detail in the pics for the first clarinet and I'd like to see more of the keywork.

I'm not the world's best identifier of clarinets, but the thumbrest on the bottom horn is not what I'd expect on a Buffet. Even the lowly B10 has a metal thumbrest. The serial numbers on both would also point to fairly recent horns (2011ish), but there's no E11 stamp on either.

How much are the sellers asking? That might help to pin it down a bit, too. I'd still wait for @Steve or someone with more knowledge of recent Buffet clarinets to come along before buying either horn.

With the first one
i really need more up close pictures of all the emblems especially on the main body pieces. But so far looks like a buffet. And closeup of the keywoRk. Seeing a pic from a distance only confirms that it looks like a clarinet.

Take a pic of the area under the r/h pinkie cluster. What price is it? This will give a pointer as to what it is. Don't like the look of that thumbrest.

Wow, you guys are good, I have now abaondoned these although I am happy to share the links and would still love your thoughts-

https://item.mercari.com/gl/m289980402/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232080875245?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I have now purchased this one-but could you give me your thoughts on it, with you saying there are counterfiets out there, I am worried.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152245652406?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I love what you do, you're awesome!

Is it me or does the small section that attaches to the mouthpiece on the second instrument looks green, like its made of different material?

Checking on a computer now the very first one *could* have been a Buffet R13. Though without more up close detailed photos I cannot say with any certainty though it does have a couple beveled cork pads installed.

The 2nd one definitely is a Chinese fake.
Couple identifiers. The bell logo is too LARGE. Thumbrest, serial number, etc.

Wow you guys know your stuff!

What about this one?

Attachments

• s-l1600-5.jpg
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 1,086
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 1,149
  • s-l1600-7.jpg
    s-l1600-7.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 948
Why is it assembled incorrectly? Did you assemble it or was it shown to you like this? Severe damage can be caused by assembling the instrument in this manner. What is the serial number? Could be Buffet or a Chinese fake. Some fakes are hard to pick.

The seller assembled it, not me, these are pictures from the seller and I have requested pictures of the serial number but have yet to get it. If I don't hear back, I would assume it is a counterfeit. In your opinion, would an old R13 be better than a new E11?

The seller assembled it, not me, these are pictures from the seller and I have requested pictures of the serial number but have yet to get it. If I don't hear back, I would assume it is a counterfeit. In your opinion, would an old R13 be better than a new E11?
The E-11s come in a variety of flavors per say,

The original E-11 made by Shreiber in germany. I prefer the sound of these E11s and have some general keywork. This model has plastic tonehole inserts.
cl02a.jpg

The newer E-11 Shreiber which normally had silver plated keys. The keywork for these are thick and more geared towards the more rough use from Students. A much better step up from the earlier model. This model has plastic tonehole inserts.
cl02a.jpg

Then Buffet introduced their rendition of the E-11, the E-11 France. Which has silver plated keywork. This model had quality control issues mostly related to the joints fitting improperly. ==> http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnBuffet.htm#E11France
cl01.jpg

Then to lower the price they introduced their E-11 france (model E-11N) with Chinese sourced nickel keywork. This model had rampant quality control issues all over the place. This model had a short longevity.
This may or may not be the E-11 Nickel ...
I've never actually researched them before nor have seen any. Picture from Kesslerandsons.com ==>
e11-blog-1.jpg

Then Shreiber filed for bankruptcy back in 2010. And someone at Buffet "got a clue" and bought Shreiber and now sell the E-11 France as a E-12F next to the E-11 Germany model again. Shreiber had continued to make Buffet oboes , E-11 C, Eb and A clarinets.

An older R-13 on the other hand is *not* designed for students. It's was the Pro instrument for Buffet for a number of years before they introduced anything else. A well-kept one is a great instrument to use, though the keywork is not as sturdy as a new E-11. The tonal flexibility of an R13 is what college professors strive their students to have as a top notch training tool, plus what most are used to.

So it all depends upon what you are striving to use a R13 or E11 for, even which version E-11 it is.
Though an old R13 may sell for more than a new E11 at street price.

FYI, I would guess from the pic the E-11 is a Shreiber/Germany made one. But it's just a guess without seeing a made in Germany stamp or anything else.

And for you novelty E-11 aficionados .. the E-11 in clear plastic, lucite or what ever it was.
E11emblem.JPG

Attachments

• scrap-and-junk-pile-royalty-free-stock-photography-image-9418487-yUNsLp-clipart.jpg
    scrap-and-junk-pile-royalty-free-stock-photography-image-9418487-yUNsLp-clipart.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:
Thanks Steve for all of your knowledge! You are a true expert! As for my student/daughter, she is a high school senior with hopes to go to a college to study music, she is very respectful and careful towards all of her instruments and I think it may be best for me to get her the R13 so I won't be needing to buy her a step up in a year or so. Her music teacher suggested the L11, so that is what I first started to look for, but in my search, I found the R13 and did some research and thought this might be an option. It has been a fast lesson on learning about these beautiful instruments but a fun one too. I will be in touch if I have any more questions, you have been a true help and for that, I thank you!

Is it me or does the small section that attaches to the mouthpiece
It's called a "barrel."

melpap2, first, I'm going to congratulate myself by being the first to say that the horn in your second post didn't look quite right. Yay, me!

Second, I think that the horn you said you purchased looks like it's what it says it is, an E11. While there are some counterfeits of student/intermediate horns, it's generally high-end you have to worry about. More profit margin. Also, in this particular case, I don't think the seller is trying to pull a fast one: it looks like s/he sells primarily clothing. (Hmm. A better opinion of humanity than I generally have. I must be tired.)

Back
Top Bottom