Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

help on higher register

Hello All
I am new to the forum and am hoping I can get some advice. I recently retired and borrowed a bass clarinet
from a local music store. I played quite a bit of bass clarinet some 40+ years ago, as well as bassoon and sax(which I still play) but I do not recall having any difficulty playing above G years ago.
The horn is a cheap plastic Vito student instrument and is unbelievably stuffy above G, in fact I had no problem playing up to E.
Is it the horn or do I just have to woodshed it until the horn speaks clear?
thanks in advance
Ron

The bass clarinet is an interesting woodwind in that it defies common wisdom about leaks. A leaky instrument will play quite responsively down to the low F, E, and Eb. The same instrument will make it very difficult to play above the break.

To find the answer your question it would help to find an accomplished bass clarinet player to play the instrument to see if the problem is the instrument itself which is quite possible if it is a music store "rental return". If the instrument is in good playing condition, the same accomplished player could give you a few lessons and help you with the "voicing" required to play above the break.

thanks- but I live in the boondocks and the guy at the local music store was trying to see if I would teach the HS kids B.C.,
so I don't think there's a good player around but I've been looking hard to find someone.

Having said that I'm wondering if I can advertise for a teacher/experienced player within say 50 miles of Kingston NY on this forum.
Don't know if that's allowed here?

Back
Top Bottom