Hey. Everyone in the paths of the hurricanes OK?

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I just heard from Groovekiller, who I forgot lives in FL. He's doing just fine.

Just drop by and say "hi," if you can.

OK here in Tennessee. It's beautiful here today - sunny and about 78 degrees with a nice breeze. We are supposed to get some backlash starting tomorrow afternoon. Heavy rain and 40+ mph winds, but that's nothing in the overall scheme of things. We are pretty rural, so there is always the possibility of a downed tree taking our power out. Maybe I'll get some use from my generator that I installed two years ago.

I just heard from Groovekiller, who I forgot lives in FL. He's doing just fine.

Just drop by and say "hi," if you can.

I'm fine, actually relatively comfortable, considering. As of now, on the downside of the storm. Worst threat was 3 tornadoes, 2 of which came really close. We were extremely well prepared, having gone through lots of hurricanes, but I'm getting too old for this crap.

That was one crazy storm. And the 8.1 earthquake (remember the big San Fran earthquake in the early 20th century that flattened 80 percent of the buildings was only 7.8) was a wait a minute moment. I think the next 80 years on this blue marble are going to be ... uh let's just say interesting.

The people I know in that area are safe still and/or evacuated, so that's good.
I'm too tired to say I'm doing good right now. =P

Someone pointed out, the other day, that if you live in Phoenix ...

* We're landlocked, until CA falls into the ocean, so no threat of hurricanes/cyclones/etc.
* Rarely have tornadoes. Occasional hail.
* Rarely have snow, much less heavy snow, the shoveling of which kills bunches of people every year.
* Rarely have an earthquake.
* If the Yellowstone Supervolcano goes off, we're in the safe zone.

We do have ...
* Monsoons that can flood certain areas. Simple solution: don't live in those areas. I don't.
* Temps up to 122 degrees F in the summer. However, the heat kills fewer folks than snow.
* Valley Fever.
* Scorpions, Black Widows, and rattlesnakes. All of these will leave you alone if you leave them alone. After about 20 years of living out here, I've never seen a scorpion or rattlesnake "in the wild."
* Idiots that don't know how to drive after it rains.

I'm late in responding. The eye of Dorian passed right over (our house....), in the Halifax suburbs. We had category 1 Earl in 2010. What is this--actual hurricanes almost never get this far North. Growing up in NYC area saw none. Did see the damage Sandy caused though, where I camp each summer by the Hudson River for our concert series. Global warming, I guess.

Just because Tom updated this thread, I'll share another update about bugs.

Last week, we had a sewer line problem. Again. This one was the worst we've had and the toilets and bathtubs became unusable. On top of that, we had mutant nuclear cockroaches come out from the sewer. Easily 4 inches long. I used to work at a designated Superfund (hazardous waste) site and I thought those cockroaches were big. These were much bigger. (The plumbing problems have been fixed, thankfully.)

I also forgot to mention that we also have something called a Palo Verde Borer Beetle. A Palo Verde is a kind-of tree that's got a green trunk and spikes on its branches. My backyard neighbor used to have a few and they're quite common out here as an "ornamental" tree. A Palo Verde Borer Beetle is a beetle that eats Palo Verde roots, can be 8 inches long or so, flies, and has a nasty (I can tell you from experience), but non-poisonous bite. My dogs occasionally play with them. They make a VERY loud thump when they fly into the window.

Back
Top Bottom