Holton-Buffet

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Auguste Buffet, that is.

I took my bari sax in for repairs, tonight, and I talked with Ron over at the Band Instrument Repair Shop out here in Mesa, AZ. He had an interesting Bb clarinet that was hanging on the wall. He asked if I knew anything about it. I didn't know *anything* about it. Now I know slightly more:

* Old eBay ad with pics. Not the same horn, of course.
* Close up of the stamp. Again, not the same horn.

Details:
* Bb (soprano).
* Standard Boehm system.
* No indication of high pitch (no stamp and it's unplayable).
* Stamped "Made in France". Matching serial numbers on all joints.

If one of those websites is to be believed, it's a late 1920's clarinet. But that's just a website.

Anyone heard of one of these? Dates made? Approximate value? Google only had the above two entries. Everything else was about Auguste Buffet from the mid-1800's.

Auguste Buffet is a Buffett ... but not that Buffet. Auguste is related to Jean Louis Buffet (aka Buffet Crampon).

If I recall (i'm sure i'm messing something up)
Claude Buffet is the grandpa of both Auguste and Jean Louis. Who had Denis (of Buffet-Auger) and Louis Auguste (Buffet - Jeune) later to be Auguste Buffet. Later Auguste BUffet had Louis Auguste who used the same markings as his father .. you would think they would use Jr.

But Denis had Jean Louis who I believed married someone called Crampon, thus BUffet-Crampon was born ... in a way with the company name

But, from pics the Auguste Buffet looks very similar to the Buffet-Crampon. Since they were all related who knows, maybe they were made by the same "factory"

Holton was the US distributor

Back
Top Bottom