Holton Collegiate Unibody.

Looking for some info on this Holton Collegiate Unibody I won on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17087486746...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1180

Quote from Clarinetpages.net : "Because of the single post for the left pinkie keys, this is an older model, and probably a Couesnon.
It has the articulated C#/G# key, as most unibody clarinets.
These pictures from Kevin Bugbarn. The top bore diameter is 14.5mm."

This is the exact item I won. Any info you might have on it would be much appreciated.

Bump? Would love some opinions about either this clarinet, or the brand its self. I am most likely also going to repad it, as I have pads already. I *Think* they should fit, they are Bb pads for my late 70's Buescher Aristocrat.

Holton clarinets are no more (for good reason)
people really didn't play them (for good reason)
and they are cheap to buy (for good reason)

I'm sure it's an acceptable clarinet once properly setup though.

What I've learned over the years is that old off brand clarinets that are no more are that way for a reason. Some people out there swear by them. What I"ve learned is that once you leave that pond, and move up, rarely does one go back. There are some good exceptions though ... like Marigeaux Symphonies but even these command much higher prices to obtain.

So I got the horn. It is relatively clean, the case doesn't stink(big plus), and it is a wooden body and barrel. The bell is composite, probably bakelite. Fairly comfortable keywork, but a little crowded at the register key.

So far I ave oiled the bore, and I had to replace the register pad. I didn't have a rubber pad, so I used a well fitting leather pad. Is this something I am going to want to go back to rubber on? The register tone hole is surprisingly not sharp like my other horns, but flact like a sax register. Does make octave transition smooth(though I'm not playing well enough to take advantage yet).

Even after oiling the bore, it is still not completely smooth looking. Being my first wood horn, maybe I am expecting it to be as smooth as a plastic or hard rubber horn. It is just not. No cracks forming that I can tell so far, but I'll keep watching.

Anything else I need to do on this unibody besides re-oil until it doesn't absorb? I have used less than 1/2oz of oil so far.

Thanks.

Well, it turns out the bore has alot of dust built up, causing it to seem rough. I was able to clean its some, but I think I am near the end of my amateur ability. How can I clean up the bore? at this point?

Kerosene and a match?
:emoji_rage:

Bad timing for that suggestion. I missed the opening to the Olympics. Would have made a nice torch.

Actually, I decided to scrub it with mild soap and water. For better or worse. It was unplayable with all that dust. Cleaned out OK, I'll just have to oil it well after it dries. If it has any cracks I'm sure they'll show up now. lol

I use a 1 inch bristle bore brush and other brushes to clean out the toneholes.

I normally oil the bore - soak it actually. Then let it sit for a bit before I use the brush on it.

I personally stay away from soap and water as water can soak into wood. And oil is put into wood to prevent water from penetrating the wood. Thus introducing water to wood before it is properly oiled, to me, doesn't quite make much sense. But plenty of people do it that way.

torching it may work as long as you don't mind ash. Might make an interesting peace pipe too. Your tone might improve though ... a nice dark, lush, "smokey" tone. :emoji_rage:

I tried oiling the bore, letting sit and the bristle brush. Would not come out. The soap and water worked. Had to do it, there was no way that dust was coming out.

The next problem is the register key is really annoying. It sits nearly 1mm away from the thumb key. Maybe I'll have to bend it up? Any advice on modding the key would be appreciated

alot of vintage clarinets the register key will bend over time with use. Not a good thing. So sometimes bending it to open more is a common thing.

Of course, one could also thin the cork/material under the register key that acts like a bumper.

Or if replace the pad make sure it is a thinner pad or deeper set in the keycup

or just bend the thing lightly.

Finally got it playing. It does have some nice, warm(not burnt) woody tones compared to my Buescher Aristocrat. For some reason it likes to have a longer barrel, made out of composite more than it's factory wood barrel. Could just be my own pitch. The keywork is now very nice, after being cleaned and lubed. I'll play around with the register key, I have some spare register keys from a lot auction(maybe another might fit better). Deffinatly 100% better than when I got it. Sounded...well... very dusty, and I think choked on a dust bunny. bleuaaah!

I like that it has the unibody, just easier to assemble and seaminly less to worry about.

Even if it isn't a Pro horn, I think it is deffinately a step up from a student, and for a reasonable price. And, it just feels really solid being a one piece body.

Thanks for the help!

Register key probs again. The key itself is comfortable, though I really had to adjust it's angle quite abit to be comfortable. Now the problem is the register just doesn't blow right for me. The chalumeau plays sweet, but I cannot get the Clarion to blow...at all.

Does the register vent hieght sometimes need adjustment? It is flat down on the outside of the horn, and is about 1/4-1/3 of the way accross the inside of the bore. That seems abit off compared to other clarinets I have.

How would I adjust this?

Or do I need a new "pip"?

A good rule of thumb on older horns with bore maintenance...

...is to always run a pipe cleaner through the register vent after you are done with your oiling and cleaning. It's easy to get remains of your bore cleaning and oiling operations into the register key pipe, and that alone can cause problems with the key.

when playing C below staff, use your right hand and push close the register key to see if it has an effect to the tone.

If it does, then when you adjusted it you made it not close 100% which will affect things in general. Depending upon placement, design, etc register pad height to the register vent may have minor or substantial affect on it's function related to tone and response.

can you provide pictures ?

Back
Top Bottom