Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

hot topics policy

I like that there is no 'Lounge' here.
I've found that I can get into just as much, or more trouble without it.
I have to remember to not reply to posts that get my hackles up.

I guess that was insider executive session stuff from which the membership is shielded.
No, all you had to do was look at the posts in there of the high percentage of people saying, "Sorry. I'm not going to be posting here, anymore" and a lot of admins posting, "We just cut 3,527 posts from this thread ...."

I haven't been an admin on SOTW for almost four years, I think.

Blood Pressure Status

My normal BP = 110/70
My BP here = 110/70
My BP at SOTW now = 120/80
My BP when Hot Topics was alive at SOTW = 150/100

My doctor thanks you all! This is a great place to hang out.

My normal BP = 110/70
My BP here = 110/70
My BP at SOTW now = 120/80
My BP when Hot Topics was alive at SOTW = 150/100

My doctor thanks you all! This is a great place to hang out.

Too funny! But oh so true! :emoji_smile:

I was a moderator on a moderated usenet group for a number of years back in usenet's heyday. I didn't much like the job.

The group was set up to discuss a programming language. Usenet being what it is and computer programmers being what we are, the procedure was simple. No message got posted until a moderator approved it. Unless the message was obvious garbage, we usually notified authors about any problems and allowed them to modify and resubmit the messages.

Another moderator once rejected one of my messages because I said, "ad nauseum, ad infinitum" about someone's repetitive posts. He said ad infinitum would have been okay by itself, but ad nauseum was crossing the line. Just goes to show how far we've come. :)

Even unmoderated usenet worked well for a long time starting back in the 1980s when not everyone had access. Groups self-moderated themselves, and offenders were generally given the bum's rush by the group and folks weren't as tenacious as they are today. Then the internet caught on, someone discovered automatic spam generators, and the whole thing went downhill. Unmoderated usenet is mostly a cesspool now.

I guess this is getting into one of those vague subject matter areas that won't last long. "The medium is the message."

Everyone has a different philosophy, of course, but I decided a long time ago that my purpose in posting was to try to learn something and help people out, if I can. In the former case, I'm not afraid to be wrong and I have been many times.

A lot of people don't like ever admitting being wrong. These people shouldn't post on the internet.

I'm hard pressed to not learn something every time I read the stack o' stuff here. And I get some great ideas of stuff to play. I am totally NOT into the admin/moderating the WF for the moderation experience any more. I'm more selfish. ;-)

If we were to go with any off topic areas I have to be honest and say that they would be in areas that I have an interest. Things like fountain pens, watches, or personal productivity. Even though I have a degree in Political Science I have no desire to have an off topic group here on that subject.

Again, I'm interested in the things that bring us together as a group rather than those that cause our level of discourse to dissolve into something like those political shows where people try to shout each other down.

A little bit of history for those whom may not know or need their memories refreshed, and pardon me for butting-in but besides the desire to create a forum where to discuss various woodwind instruments (as opposed to strickly saxophones) and possibly other reasons which I'm unaware of, there is another minor but not to be neglected factor which has contributed to the birth of the Woodwind Forum -- it was an incident which occured in the SOTW "off-topic" Lounge and which led to an obvious difference of oppinions among the forum staff as to what sort of posts should be tolerated in the "off-topic" Lounge and even (to some mild extent) questionning if there should even be an "off-topic" are at all.

This said, sorry Carl I mean no disrespect, but I don't know how one could imagine that there would be a Hot Topic forum in here. It was a crazy experiment that has gone bad over at SOTW and knowing how wize Ed, Jim and Pete are and how they feel about that, I'm pretty certain that they won't do the same mistake as we did over at SOTW.

As for Off-topic posts, well I only have one word of advice: When Ed said no picture of the naked bari guy <-- He means it !! (I don't blame him, tho)

In conclusion and as a personal observation, I find it interesting to see that several members and (some ex-SOTW members) are on their best behavior here... Aha! So you have no excuses then! :emoji_rage: ;)

I thought that the hot topics on the other site was worth the experiment.

I learned that there are many people that are thin skinned, and quite narrow minded, from many countries, and with disparate world views.

I was surprised.

I'm happy to keep things non-political here, and no NBSP.

I only object when you can't say 'Obama', or 'Bush' in passing, as if they were curse words.

In conclusion and as a personal observation, I find it interesting to see that several members and (some ex-SOTW members) are on their best behavior here... Aha! So you have no excuses then! :emoji_rage: ;)
Kim, it is nice to see that you are checking up on the SOTW expatriates over here at the Woodwind Forum. I'm sure your help is appreciated by the moderators of this group.

John

I just appreciate KCP. She's good people.

FWIW, I went along with this forum because ... I was asked to. Again, I haven't been an admin on SOTW for at least four years and this place is a little over 1 year old, so I had no input on SOTW's "hot topics".

I've actually fought pretty hard *not* to make this place a SOTW or sneezy.org clone. There's no need to clone them when they already exist.

Besides, I hadn't banned anyone for awhile and Ed said I could ban as may people as I wanted, whenever I wanted, so I HAD to get onboard with that.

The biggest difference between the WF and SOTW or other forums is that we've got a LOT of people (CEs) that we've determined have expertise is certain fields. These folks are around to specifically help other members out. We also try to quickly identify the folks that consistently have good advice (Distinguished Members). This difference helps folks sort the wheat from the chaff, as it were, in the posts.

===========

FWIW, neither Bush nor Obama are "curse words". However, I can see context where they could be used as such. If I saw a post where they were used as such, I'd delet 'em. I still haven't found that post ....

I'm happy to see that most people understand what we are trying to be and not to be at WF. To be honest, I am not interested in comparing ourselves and our efforts to any other newsgroup, mailing list, or internet forum. It would surprise me if many people in future generations are all that interested in the minutia of behind the scenes discussions here or anywhere else.

Kim, it is nice to see that you are checking up on the SOTW expatriates over here at the Woodwind Forum. I'm sure your help is appreciated by the moderators of this group.

John

Oh, they don't need my help. Pete and Ed are more experienced Admins than I. In fact, they thaught me how to.

As for the checking-up on you part goes; hey, don't flatter yourself too much! ;) (just teasing) - For sure tho, seeing you contribute here says that you're not one of those resentful fruit-cakes spreading anger over at the alt-sax group - In other words it's good to see that your knowledge and expertise doesn't go to waste :)

Just for the record here, I am not in favor of a hot topics area. I never posted in it on SOTW and after the first few days I stopped reading anything from there. It was not productive or a pleasant diversion, in fact in my short time observing it several members fell in my estimation, I didn't need that.

I was more interested in a clarification of where the line was so as to know what was allowed and what should get the
report.gif

I don't care for personal attacks or gripe sessions aimed at anyone, which is also why I didn't post on those elimination threads. Believe me, there are folks I could go on and on about, but why waste the time and energy?

I guess that's what you get for living in Canadia.:p

Back
Top Bottom