How to choose a clarinet for a child?

Hi, This is my first post here, please let me know if I've posted in the incorrect forum. My 9 year old son goes to a school that offers band for elementary students. He tried all of the instruments at the end of last year, and he chose the clarinet. We can purchase a clarinet from a music company that comes to the school, but a used clarinet will be $600, and $800 new. I'd like to get a used one on craigslist or ebay, but I know nothing about woodwind instruments. Would anyone be willing to offer some suggestions on a good first clarinet? Thank you for any help!

whatever used instrument you buy make sure you take it to a technician before your child plays so they can make sure it's working properly. if there is an issue with it (like a leak) it can make the learning process even more difficult (do I hate playing clarinet? or just this one?)

a plastic yamaha between $250-450 should be a good place to start. any less $ then that and there might be something seriously wrong with it

Thank you for the replies. I figured that the prices I was seeing for preowned clarinets was probably too good to be true. I might just go with the school's music company after all, as they will come to the school and keep the instruments working properly.

Thank you for the replies. I figured that the prices I was seeing for preowned clarinets was probably too good to be true. I might just go with the school's music company after all, as they will come to the school and keep the instruments working properly.

Before you do this, price out a nice looking used ebay/craigslist Vito clarinet and a complete repad. Then compare that to 6 months of using the program instrument.

Those rental programs are goldmines and depending on the retailer, no guarantee of a playable instrument either. Good used clarinets are all over the place and quite affordable. Not to mention a full service on a student clarinet is dirt cheap compared to other instruments.

Ok, thanks for the replies, I'll look on ebay at Vito clarinets, and I'll take a look at those links Gandalfe. Is that your ebay store? My older son plays the trumpet, and we did the rent to own thing for his instrument. We haven't been happy with the quality of it for what we spent, we bought it new, and if I remember correctly we spent well over $1000. The valves are always getting stuck. Now we are looking for a nice trumpet to get him through his high school years. Clarinets are tougher because I'm clueless about what to buy and we don't know anyone who plays it. Anyway, thank you!

Gandalfe I am new to this clarinet business. My two older kids played trumpet and tuba. Now my 11 year old is going to try the clarinet. Yes I did with the other two go the rental direction. But I was not happy with the performance of the instruments. So I have recently purchased a Leblanc model V40 for 80 bucks from the local pawn shop. Only to find no info on it. It is really good shape, no scratches the cork looks new has two new looking reeds all keys are free moving. I am going to take it to the local music shop to have them look it over. Is this a decent one for a beginner? Any help is appreciated

Gandalfe I am new to this clarinet business. My two older kids played trumpet and tuba. Now my 11 year old is going to try the clarinet. Yes I did with the other two go the rental direction. But I was not happy with the performance of the instruments. So I have recently purchased a Leblanc model V40 for 80 bucks from the local pawn shop. Only to find no info on it. It is really good shape, no scratches the cork looks new has two new looking reeds all keys are free moving. I am going to take it to the local music shop to have them look it over. Is this a decent one for a beginner? Any help is appreciated

Assuming no major flaws, you have a respectable instrument that I wouldn't hesitate having a full repad done on.

The V40 would be a good instrument for a beginner, as would the Leblanc Vito or pretty well any of the Yamaha student models (YCL23, 24, 26, c100). There are others, but they are newer models and will cost more. Unless cost is no problem you don't need to spend that much. Whatever you get, have it checked out by someone who knows what they're doing.
Tony F.

Thank you Tony F.
When I came across this one I knew what to check as for the condition but I did not know that there were so many to choose from. The joints go together really well and there does not seem to be any air leaking. But yes I will take it to the local music shop and have them check it out before she takes it to school. My only concern now is if the school says ok

Thank you Carl H.
I do plan on taking it to the local shop to have it completely checked out before she takes it to school. It goes together with ease and does not seem to have any air leakage.

Back
Top Bottom