How to identify the system without brand?

Hi,
one question occured during the collection of MPC over the time: How to identify the system, this MPC was made for originally?
The problem is, that I got some MPC, neither numbered nor brand marked. The tenons show bore diameters of 14,6mm to 15,4mm and outer diameters varying from 21,9mm to 22,5mm. Length of all MPC is different from 87mm to 92mm.
Some of this MPC tenons are longer, some shorter. If I install such a MPC on the french barrel - it works. And if installed on a German barrel - it works to. The rails allow to install a french cut reed but a German cut reed too (they are wider than 0,5mm and therefore fitting from 12,5 to 13,5mm).

Now is the question, how to divide the wide/open french MPC class from the tight/short German one. I found only one hint to inspect the chamber walls angle for, but is this really the one and only item?
Is there any Golden Way to identify correctly?
How do you sort a box full of MPC right?

kindly
Roman

PS: I took the publication of Stefanie Angloher regarding the sound effect of bore, but the division table is not helpful to me.-/ Some MPC could be both... ;-(

Roman,

Yes, they all can vary by great degrees of about every dimension when used with calipers.

You will notice major window variations too in width, length, parallel or less-so parallel sidewalls, thickness in tip and side rails and every other dimension you can measure even with mpcs from the same manufacturer and the same model.

I haven't measured up a bunch of more modern mpcs but I assume they would be more consistent as least in tip opening etc.

here I show some of the specs of mpcs I measured. I've measured and blueprinted many more which aren't shown here but the one consistent thing is that they are all inconsistent.
http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clmpcdesign.htm

In the old days many mpcs were finished by hand. Selmer Paris apparently finished each mpc by hand. Automation back then wasn't what it was today.

Even in the 1970/80s a couple manufacturers modified the diameter of the mpc tenon to fit their instruments only. We are talking very minor diameter increase but enough where the mpc tenon edge just won't fit into a barrel. fun eh ?

anyways i've learned to blueprint the mpcs that I like so I can understand them more rather than just about everything.

Yeah Steve, you hardened my speculation so much ;-( We're talking about french bore and German bore, and everyone does large investigations to finde the right MPC for...but if we measure the MPC with "french" bore, we could install it better to a German bored clarinet than to a french. What a terrible chaos!

I was falling over this item, because I got "french" MPCs, but they didn't fit to the french bored barrel well. Then I tested them - sad! I installed to the German bored barrel, and a wonder occured: some nightingals were born.
Then I inspected the bore from inside and lightened/shaded the junction between barrel and MPC bore. Wonder No.2: the fitting was in every condition not well - neither the German nor the french. Was a gap or was a recess visible...

Same occured with reeds. I took some German cutted (small), and they closed the window well (appr. 0,25-0,5mm in touch). A small part of the rail was visible besides (broad rails). Sound was ok, full and warm. Then I took french cut reeds - same procedure, but the rails were covered well. Tone was ok too, but what's the rigth decision?
Both types of MPC don't have a wire area, therefore could be French, could be German...

And how much the gap/recess should be? I would state, should be none, but is one there - always and appr. 0,05mm or more. I found the MPCs blowing sufficient, if the have smaller bore than the barrel.
Now I'm understanding, why some clarinetists were harmed by a MPC called a godsend. They had to inspect their's barrel bore a little bit more detailed **ggg** I would assume, it's not the MPC itself, it's a maladjustment between the bores and a well done turbulence at the gap/recess....

The other items I inspected too, but is there any valid subdivision table out there? When it's named a "German" style MPC, what are the minimum facts to figure out? Could be volume? Could be chamber wall angle alone? ...?

kindly
Roman

PS: Currently I sort my MPCs not more to German or French type but only open, closed, wide, tight and "fitting to..." ;-)

addendum: I found a second problem too with rubber MPCs. Two identical MPCs, stored in different conditions show two different measurements at the tenon. One was stored long time dry and dark - 22,25mm outer diameter, one was played often and stored in changing conditions (dry, wet, light, dark...). The second one has 22,40mm. It is visible swollen...0,15mm!!! ;-(

kindly
Roman

Back
Top Bottom