Hunleth alto sax

I bought a Hunleth alto sax (used) in about 1978. I have not heard of this brand. Instead of being the brassy color of most saxes, it is silver.

Anyone ever hear of this brand?

I've not heard of the brand per se, but Hunleth Music, located on Broadway in the heart of downtown Saint Louis (two blocks from the Gateway Arch) was a long term musical firm that sold instruments of the clarinet type (I had one, although only the case was marked, not the horn itself) under its name back in the old days. So, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they also marketed saxophones, probably Conn stencils.

Hunleth has been gone at least since 1972, the last time I tried to visit. (Stibals had been buying reeds and the like there since 1922, when my clarinet playing grandfather first dropped in - "his" salesman was still working when I started visiting in the late 1950's.) It was an "old style" firm, with horns in wooden show cases, the big wall of drawers for musical accessories, and a cord-wood style pile of old clarinets that you could pick and choose from if you were into Albert system horns (which I was). I also bought my little Chedeville oboe mouthpiece there some time in the 1960's.

(While most of these old music stores are gone now, in downtown Pensacola FL there is still one in operation. Right on the main drag of the town (Palafox), it's equipped with a wonderfully restored set of display and storage cases - really brings back the memories. It's particularly effective at the end of summer, when they are engaged in getting all of the local high school's large brass instruments back into shape, and display the finished ones in the front window.)

Back
Top Bottom