Huttl/DABICO

Glad it's OK now Pete, but I've done nothing to change it. Must have been on your end, because it wasn't any blinking on our machines. Must have been gremlins. :emoji_rage: Weird...

Nope. Still blinking. You've got Javascript that stops the blinking when you rollover a link (I checked your code). It only seems to do it in Firefox. IE7 doesn't care (yes, I was using IE yesterday, Jim). And the right-click function is disabled for IE7, not FF.

OK...Thanks for letting me know. I've only Got IE7. I will get her to check the site changes she did over for other offending flashing bits.

Whenever she does updates for me, she usually opens the site in different browsers. I guess this time she forgot... :emoji_astonished:

Nope. Still blinking. You've got Javascript that stops the blinking when you rollover a link (I checked your code). It only seems to do it in Firefox. IE7 doesn't care (yes, I was using IE yesterday, Jim). And the right-click function is disabled for IE7, not FF.

There was a piece of code in the CSS that said "blink". Weird. It didn't do it in Explorer though. What's really weird is that my web designer said that I've had the same CSS for years, so I would have thought someone would have pointed that out before now, since according to my site stats, 19% of visitors to my site use Firefox. :confused: Oh well, it's all fixed now. Now more blinking links in Firefox...Just in time for a site redesign...

Helen, I just spent more time looking at your site. Nice collection you have !

As for Grafton and the Conn Constellation, I've seen plenty regarding those horns from Pete's wonderful site, but my real curiosity that originated the previous question was meant in reference to the numerous post war European companies, which became Amati. I've seen some interesting brass winds from Bohland & Fuchs, like this attached image below.

With all of those companies that were around back then, and with some of them doing creative and unique designs like this B & F, I was wondering who made saxes, and if the use of plastic was more wide spread within those companies. I know post war info for these companies is scant, but I was hoping your European friends may have more to share.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed
Hi there Connical.

Sorry, your question totally zoomed over my head the first time around. (I was distracted by the blinking links. ;-) )

Anyways, I don't know about plastic key guards, and I don't know if Dave would know, but I certainly could ask him.

I have been encouraging Dave to come to this forum, since he is a sax nut of the highest order, and just a really nice nice guy. So far he hasn't. I believe he might be a bit shy.

In the meantime, I'll fire off a note to him and see if he knows anything about the post-war manufacturers and plastic/acrylic key guards. I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks Helen ! I enjoyed your site, and I have to admit, I'm a sucker for vintage horns. I can't get enough info it seems, and please excuse my cheekiness in trying to extract even more. I know how much effort is required to dig up info on these companies of yesteryear.

For all those who have spent countless hours sending emails, phoning, interviewing, and reading old pamplets and company documents. You have my eternal thanks for all that you have done.

And one more side note. Pete, I have often heard your gracious statements regarding Saxpics and it's new owner USA Horn. I know
that you refer to USA Horn as it's new owner without hesitation, and they do deserve recognition for investing in such a worthwhile site.
But for me and countless others, who have spent endless hours on Saxpics, it will always be your site regardless of who now owns it.

Reactions: Ed
While I think the plastic guards are striking -- on any of the horns that have 'em -- they're not very practical and are very fragile. While I like the idea of playing an instrument that's not only an engineering work of art but really is a work of art, I can't justify an instrument that'll shatter under normal wear and tear circumstances.

Well, I had only heard of Hammerschmidt incidentally, so it is possible that there's another manufacturer out there that did use plastic guards, but I haven't seen it.

And thanks for the compliment re: saxpics.com. I'm *really* hoping that usahorn does something with it, but it's been a year. I don't think they're going to do much with it beyond keeping it as a showcase.

I've got some ideas. I might share them in awhile, but I've had my hour off: I've gotta get back to the skoolwerk.

I lived in Dayton, Ohio from 1964 to 2002. When my grandfather gave me my first Clarinet in 1967, I first met Bob Daugherty, Sr. My parents took me to Dayton Band to have the Clarinet given a looksee. I remember him asking me to assemble it so that he could see how I held it in my hands, then loudly chastised me for handling it 'like a football !'

Obviously, I still remember that 'conversation' today. And I learned the proper way to assmble a Clarinet so as to not bend any keys.

Later in my life I once owned a Low A DABICO Baritone Sax for a year or two. I sold it but as far as I know, the guy who bought it from me still has it and still plays it. He lives in Columbus.

This was all before the internet and I never even took a single photo of the horn. As I recall, mine said 'Made in Holland' on it somewhere.

About 3 months ago while visiting Dayton for business, there was a Low Bb version of a DABICO Baritone Sax at Hauer's Music. I saw it in display the case and asked the counter person to let me play it. It was an ex high school horn which had seen MUCH abuse. My playing impression was that the intonation was perfectly AWFUL on this particular horn during my brief trial. I certainly didn't remember my Low A version having such poor intonation but maybe I have just forgotten.

Another friend of mine years ago played a DABICO Alto Sax, also made in Holland, but I don't think he has that horn anymore either.

Howdy, tharruff. Nice to see you posting!

As mentioned elsewhere, I have a new sax Wiki. When I get a chance, I promised Helen I'll try to straighten all this out.

Bottom line:

Helen's Huttl = Hammerschmidt
Some Hammerschmidts = DABICO
DABICO = All stencils. At least Hammerschmidt and Pierret. Probably others.

You've lost me Pete.

If we're saying that the Hammerschmidts = DABICO, did you come across new info? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

And if the DABICO were Pierret and Hammerschmidts, where did the Dutch DABICOs come from?

I knew that Huttls and DABICOs were similar, in as much as they were looking like they were coming from common Dutch stock, but that's where my German Huttl was different I thought...

You've lost me Pete.

If we're saying that the Hammerschmidts = DABICO, did you come across new info? I don't remember seeing that anywhere.

And if the DABICO were Pierret and Hammerschmidts, where did the Dutch DABICOs come from?

I knew that Huttls and DABICOs were similar, in as much as they were looking like they were coming from common Dutch stock, but that's where my German Huttl was different I thought...
DABICO is Dayton Band Instrument Company. They never made their own horns, but imported them from other companies and stenciled their names on 'em. I have pictures of a horn labeled "DABICO" that looks very simular to your Huttl -- which we have determined was made by Hammerschmidt.

I posted pictures of another DABICO that was made by Pierret.

In other words, DABICO is not an instrument BUILDER, they're an IMPORTER.

Better? :)

I finally got around to taking some other pictures of my Hammerschmidt in Hüttl clothing a couple of nights ago. I've put them into an album here called Hüttl Deluxe, in case anyone is interested in checking them out.

Disclaimer: I never claimed to be a photographer, nor do I play one on TV. :emoji_relaxed: I do however realize that my sax is extremely dusty, despite it being in the case. This camera really shows way too much detail! ;-)

Forget about the dust. That's a really interesting horn. For a quickee cleaning, just blow the dust off by lung power (safest) or with a compressor ( be careful). Don't forget to oil everything before you put it away. Never saw anything like it.

This is how Bob described the instruments his father built for DABICO.
DABICO alto sax made by Hammerschmidt in Germany. This is a brand that my father sold under his company name. (Dayton Band Inst Co) These were stencil instruments made for him ,with some of his added touches. These were sold in the late 50’s. He also had instruments made by Schenklaars in Holland, this was mid to late 60’s. The first run of Dabico were more proto- type instruments for the time and the latter more student quality at a much lower cost to the customer.
When the US manufacturers made stencil saxes, the horns tended to be of the more stripped-down variety. In some cases, these US stencils were made with cheaper materials than their name brand counterparts, therefore they tended to be of a lesser quality as well.¹ Oftentimes the stencil saxophones designs were based on discontinued, but modified versions of pro horns. For example, the original Selmer Bundy saxophones, were Buescher True Tones with left-sided bell keys. The serial numbers on US stencil saxophones tended not to follow the numbering charts for the pro horns from the same manufacturer.
When a stencil saxophone originated in Europe, it generally was not of a stripped-down variety. For the most part, European stencil saxophones were offered with the same features as the horns they were stencilled from. Where they differed however, was in the engraving and usually in the number of finish options available.

Welcome, and thanks for the brief history lesson. Is your family still involved with the store?

Bob-has retired from the retail store, however; he is still very much involved in the music instrument repairs. He works 2 days a week out of Kincaid's our supplier, and the rest of the time he has a workshop out of his home.
I have only become part of Dayton Band within the last year and a half. It is an amazing testament to the Daugherty Legacy how many people remember and call looking for Bob everyday because he became the shop owner everyone knew they could depend on.

Back
Top Bottom