Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

I have to give up the clairnet and sax

Hi all,
With many years pf playing, especially my patricola, I may have to give it up.

I have a very bad immune deficiency that has given me so many pnunomias that my lungs are too scarred to get enough wind to play for a whole piece

I bought an Akai 4000s and a vlm80 with the patchman turbo rom. But it doesn't have the feel Of my real clarinet. The EWI does sound gpod and I think I can make it work for my trio. It is sad though that i cannot play the real thing.
I will also have to get rid of my yaginasawa 901 alto and soprano as well but thats what cards I was dealt. I am a patient of the NIH national institutes of health and they do not think my lungs will com back either. Thank goodness for synths that will still allow me to be active in music.
Steve

So sorry to hear that. That must be very difficult for you. Best of luck in you other musical endeavors. Thank you for the gift of gratitude this Christmas season.

FWIW, I also want to go the EWI route, if I ever have enough spare cash to do that, due to my own medical issues.

The "feel" is definitely something different, but the fact that the fingering system is close to clarinet/sax standard makes up for a part of it. When I owned a WX11 many years ago, I had to learn that the keys were very, very light. More flute-like than anything.

Good luck!

The method of using a "sharp key" to sharp any note on the "horn" takes a little getting used to, but once it is mastered, you'll be toodling along just fine. I was also troubled by the "triple octave key" on the ones that I tried. Again, practice will make perfect.

Just a quick follow up. I sold both my saxes, have an EWI, am getting real proficient with it but more complications. I have had a few episodes of bladder cancer. I will not give up. I just ordered a wx5 so I will have both wind controllers and upgraded my mixer to a presonus 24 track AI. I have hard times but will not let it stop me from making music. Now to sell my Patricola an reedual and buy more toys.

Steve

Just as listening to music is used as therapy, physically playing musical instruments works wonders for healing.
Playing our favorite songs (the pleasant and happy ones) promotes well being. When unable to play sax
Iate at night I play some quiet things on other instruments. If we can't play our favorite instrument we can still
find a way to make a joyful noise for our well being... play on and stay strong.

Back
Top Bottom