I rejoined the community band

Man of la Mancha is an entire show that does the 6/8-3/4 thing (except for 'Golden Helmet of Mambrino', which is in 10/8).

IIRC it's called 'Paso Doble'.

I generally hate marches but have not problem playing in 2/4. The challenge of playing in time signatures like 7/4 and 9/4 continue to befuddle me but somehow I get through.

I'm generally reasonably capable with slightly odd time signatures, but find I sometimes take a while to get "in the groove" with certain dance specific rhythms, eg I often take a little while to adjust to a fast swing in 2 (as mentioned above) if I haven't played any for some time. I've just spent a month and a bit playing lots of bossas (an old awkwardness for me), so hopefully I'm permanently set on autopilot for them in the future.

I'm generally reasonably capable with slightly odd time signatures, but find I sometimes take a while to get "in the groove" with certain dance specific rhythms, eg I often take a little while to adjust to a fast swing in 2 (as mentioned above) if I haven't played any for some time. I've just spent a month and a bit playing lots of bossas (an old awkwardness for me), so hopefully I'm permanently set on autopilot for them in the future.
I need to do that too as we rarely play Latin songs in the bands I frequent.

The drama goes on (to rehijack my thread):

Last night we rehearsed a Dixieland medley arrangement in which the Dixie front line plays a half chorus of each tune with drums and tuba as accompaniment, and then the concert band plays the second half.

My pal, the clarinet player, is a very experienced swing sax player and show woodwinds doubler. He's been around a long time and played with virtually everybody. He plays the clarinet in the dixie front line.

As you might expect, the typical concert band low brass and percussion sections are swing-challenged, and they weren't holding up their end of the piece very well.

The clarinet player very vocally voiced his disapproval of how they were playing and asked that they try to get it right. He was having trouble playing his part against their rhythm, it seems. After another try, he get on their case again.

The tuba player didn't much like being told how to play tuba by a clarinet player, so after some well-chosen words, he did a YAGE.

The clarinet player, realizing what he'd done, was most apologetic, but the tuba player wasn't having any.

His wife is in the trombone section and she had to leave, too. He was already in the parking lot by the time she was packed up. On her way out, she told us, "Don't worry, this happens a lot."

The clarinet player was quiet the rest of the evening. He felt very bad about what happened.

This is better than watching Dr. Phil.

Too much drama. Sometimes part of being a professional is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.

Too much drama. Sometimes part of being a professional is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
("not my gig, not my gig, not my gig...")

(BTDT)

The Community band that my daughters and I are in is wonderful.
Everyone there except for one arrogent old 'rump' is very supportive, and welcoming to new members. We have a nice mix of HS students, teachers, retired band directors, casual players, and one working pro.
The ages range from 16 - ~83, so most of what we play is your standard concert band stuff. Nothing too difficult, but fun. A good thing 'cuz I've had to take over the bari spot since Megen has moved away.

The old 'RUMP' is a retired band director that seems to be proud of never being with a school system longer than 3 years.
Concidering his attitude I guess it was either leave, or be fired.

I love my Community Band. :-D

Unfortunately, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel, and one "grump" is more than enough to make things less than pleasant for all of the others.

But, that's one of the risks of inclusiveness - let everyone in and you'll invariably let a semi-sociopath through the doors.

But, that's one of the risks of inclusiveness - let everyone in and you'll invariably let a semi-sociopath through the doors.
So far he has only talked about it.

Back
Top Bottom