Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Identify this clarinet - Buffet half-Boehm Albert clarinet

...and, even allowing for the era in which it was recorded, there is some awfully sloppy performing in that recording. The clarinet solo at the opening was adequate (just) but subsequent entries of the orchestra were "all over the place".

I'm all for authenticity in music, but very often those "original performances" are not all that good. And, don't get me started on the sloppy big bands from the "classic" era...

By the way, I believe that the wrap around register key on earlier "modern" clarinets was adopted to keep water from entering the register key tonehole. On some of my early horns, the wrap around vent is just a regular tone hole - no tube inserted.

I actually have a similar horn of which I was going to post pictures. Based on the serial number (K655), it is the same age range (1896ish) and I think mine is an Albert/Boehm hybrid as well. I've got it side by side with an M serial horn and there are definite differences between them even though they were manufactured just a few years apart. IMG_5324.JPGIMG_5325.JPGIMG_5327.JPGIMG_5329.JPGIMG_5333.JPGIMG_5335.JPGIMG_5340.JPG

Those two are both albert system. The lack of rollers doesn't make it Boehm. A Boehm has 4 keys each for R4 and L4.

Back
Top Bottom