Identifying Blakkestad Metal Clarinet

I would like to request help from anyone willing to identify a metal clarinet I've recently picked up. It has

"Blakkestad
Marvel-Craft
New York"

engraved into the bell. The model number right above the register key is C6459. The horn appears to be made of silver. I'm more than happy to supply any additional information if requested. If you have any information about this clarinet, I'd appreciate receiving it. Thank you all.

Attachments

• WP_20150525_002.jpg
    WP_20150525_002.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 267
It appears to be a bog standard stencil horn, not anything of any great rarity. The silver may be silver plate, but the metal under the finish is most likely brass. Standard 17/6 layout, with a lyre socket in the ceneter.

You can check eBay and look for similar horns in similar condition to come up with a reasonable value. And, you can follow the procedure in http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/global-faq-horn-value.20646/ for a better handle on actual value/sale-ability.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd lay 100 to 1 odds that the horn in the photo is a Bb instrument. For one thing, the sheer volume of the band key Bb over the orchestral A speaks to that, as does the stencil nature of the instrument.

Then too, the gaps between the rings on the bottom half of the horn are too tight to be an A horn - and too loose for a C horn. The spread between the second and third finger holes on the right hand is the tell-tail sign to look for when considering this ID feature.

Something that you might look for is a small stamped "Sib" or "La" on the back of the horn, probably at the top on the back and on the barrel. "Sib" is si flat, while "La" is la, with both terms referring to notes in the do, reh, mi fa so la ti (which is si in Italian (I think)) do. An A horn is an la, and a Bb one is a Sib.

A clarinets in metal exist, and I've seen Eb horns and heard of C horns in silver over brass. However, they are rara avis of the first order, and not frequently encountered.

It's certainly not one that I'd be interested in, but I imaging that a collector of such horns might be interested - as long as the price is right. And "right" is probably well south of $50.o0 US.

Hi,
To check whether or not it is in A or Bb, try downloading a instrument tuner on a phone, tablet, or computer. Those are free and you might be able to tell whether or not it is a Bb or A instrument. Tune your instrument by checking the Bb concert scale, and playing the Bb concert scale note in the Bb key and A key. Whichever correct note lines up with the tuner on a Bb is in the correct key.

I greatly appreciate all the help. One last thing: I'm a saxophone player who is thinking about doubling on the clarinet. Would this horn be worth getting a few pads replaced to play on?

I greatly appreciate all the help. One last thing: I'm a saxophone player who is thinking about doubling on the clarinet. Would this horn be worth getting a few pads replaced to play on?
Well ... if you're just going to fool around with it, perhaps. The horn is almost definitely not sterling silver or silver plate. It might be worth around $100, even all fixed up. You'll probably pay more than it's worth to have it repaired, if you need all new pads, corks, and felts. You could probably pick up this overhauled Signet 100 with Selmer HS* mouthpiece for under $150; good horn and great mouthpiece at a good price. I'd also suggest just e-mailing or browsing one of our sponsors, Quinn the Eskimo (banner at the top of the page). You might also want to take a look at this thread.

Yup. Just add an extra $25 to the value :). (More seriously, check eBay closed ads.) HN White and a couple others had sterling bell models and I know Haynes had an all-sterling model.

FWIW, I liked my Pan American metal clarinet and I like the looks of metal clarinets, but it's hard to justify complete overhauls based on the overall value of most metal clarinets. Sentimental reasons? Sure.

Back
Top Bottom