Info on F. Hofinger Bruxelles

Hello. This is my first post in the Forum. I am a saxophonist and recently purchased a Vintage King Cleveland stencil alto that came with a wood clarinet marked F. Hofinger, Bruxelles, S. Langenus, New York, with two six-pointed stars above and below the name. It is in need of some minor repair but the pads look to be in remarkably good condition. I would appreciate any information on this clarinet.

Welcome to the forum.

A quick Bing search turns up this post on clarinetpages.net. As noted in the article, Gustave Langenus was an excellent performer, teacher and publisher. I know I have a couple of his method books stashed away somewhere. Teacher and friend to Benny Goodman. The analysis of the clarinet makes it sound like it could be worth fixing.

Here's more history, if you can read French and/or want to take the time to OCR it and then use Google Translate or similar.

I think that the info on clarinetpages.net is probably the best you're going to get in regard to that specific model clarinet, unless Stephen Howard or Matt Stohrer does a full disassembly. Is there something specific you're looking for?

* Hofinger A clarinet on Clarinetpages
* Screenshot from The Music Trades, 1923.
* Hofinger saxophone. Another.

Considering I've just been searching Google for all of 30 minutes, I'm not an expert. I did come across this flute. I don't know if "1955" is a model number, serial number, or a year, in this context. I did see that sax manufacture started in 1919. This says that their English horns were Malerne stencils.

Based on my Googling, I'm going to say that Hofinger flutes are probably the most famous of Hofinger instruments or just the most common. I ran across a "double wall" flute on a museum website. There was a note that this flute was very similar to the Haynes flutes and Haynes Thermocouple clarinets.

Attachments

• 2020-01-04_10h28_53.png
    2020-01-04_10h28_53.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 266
Back
Top Bottom