Information For Evette Schaeffer Paris France Marked Sax With Serial 2942

I am looking for any information for my Saxophone. Unfortunately Evette Schaeffer seems to have a pretty "unstable" history. My whole day of googling and research yesterday didn't bring me further.

Can anybody tell me anything about this SAX?
Year of Manufacturing?

I am looking forward to listing this instrument at ebay and i would like to provide most and best information possible.

If you are interested in this instrument, search ebay for evette and 2942. I will list tonight.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Marco

Attachments

• IMG_2608_Small.JPG
    IMG_2608_Small.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2614_Small.JPG
    IMG_2614_Small.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_2623_Small.JPG
    IMG_2623_Small.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_2624_Small.JPG
    IMG_2624_Small.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_2609_Small.JPG
    IMG_2609_Small.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 502
Do you see anywhere on the horn where it actually says, "Made in France"? A large quantity of Evette-Schaeffers that look like your horn are made in Italy.

Most manufacturers did not use the same serial number chart for their student, intermediate, or stencil instruments as they did for their professional horns. Very rarely are you going to even find a serial number hart for non-pro horns. Therefore, dating is based on feature-set similarity to other instruments. Regardless of whether this is an Italian-made Evette-Schaeffer or a Buffet-Crampon made horn, I'd say the horn's from the 1950s.

Value? Well, you've got a bunch of things wrong with the horn. Highlights are bad pads, 0% lacquer remaining and several either poorly-done solders or things that need to be soldered. I think you'll be lucky to clear $250 US.

The right pinkie reminds me of a Malerne... They even used key guards shaped like this in the Acme stencils. Not saying that's what it is, but I'm just sayin...

I, myself, made comments about the similarities to Malerne before I knew about Santoni. The similar look is intentional.

I, myself, made comments about the similarities to Malerne before I knew about Santoni. The similar look is intentional.

:oops: That would have required me to have read your link Pete. I have way to severe a case of ADD for that to have happened. ;-)

Seriously though, great article. Honestly though, the more we learn about all those old companies, the more it feels we don't know at all.
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom