Introduction

Hello!

I am new here in the forum and would like to introduce myself briefly. I do not play clarinet myself, but I am very interested in each instrument, the history of the instrument, playing styles, etc., and I want to learn as much as possible about it. (I am not a native English speaker, so please forgive me for my mistakes.)

I am especially interested in historically informed performance (HIP), and I prefer recordings played on period instruments. My favourite composers are Mozart, Weber, Humperdinck and Richard Strauss.

My favourite operas are:

"Le Nozze di Figaro" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
I have a beautiful recording of this opera by René Jacobs on period instruments. You hear how different this music sounds on the old instruments, how aggressive and evil and rebellious it often sounds.

"Der Freischütz" by Carl Maria von Weber.
I do not like the content of the opera, but I love the music.Weber used especially the woodwind instruments in a very unusual way at that time, letting them play tones that sounded "unattractive" and muffled, due to fork fingerings and notes in a very low register, in order to create a gloomy, ghostly atmosphere. I also have a recording of this opera on period instruments, in which, as Weber requested, wooden flutes, and clarinets and oboes without keys are used to make these sounds audible again.

"Salome" by Richard Strauss.
I love the music that "shimmers like changeant silk", and the plot, which is based on the play of the same name by Oscar Wilde!

I am looking forward to learning more about woodwinds and especially the clarinet!

Back
Top Bottom