iPad as an Extra Monitor/Input Device

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
As mentioned in one of the below threads, I have two original iPads. One of my co-workers was talking about using his iPad 2 as an additional display. I thought that was a great idea, so I took a virtual trip to the Apple Store. Here are the two I played with:

* DisplayLink: This is an app that does nothing more than make your iPad into an additional monitor for your Windows-based PC (no Macintosh version). It's currently FREE, for a limited time.

* AirDisplay: this app is freakin' kewl. It not only adds an extra monitor to your computer, but that monitor is touch-sensitive (multitouch only works when used with a Mac, it seems). So, what I've done is move all my desktop icons and taskbar over to my iPad. I can launch all my applications or use a taskbar to switch apps.

This app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and Android and is available for Mac or PC -- or a Mac and a PC. Hey, I could install the app on my PC and use my 24" iMac as a monitor, if I wanted.

The app's $10. It's worth it.

System Requirements
For both apps, your computer and iPad/Android have to be on the same network. That means you can't be using 4G on your iPad 3 to connect to your computer that's on a wired network, but if your iPad's on your home wireless network and your PC's on your home wired network -- which is how I have it configured -- no problem. You can also use Ad Hoc wireless networks, but can't use Bluetooth: the software manufacturers say it's too slow.

Usability
AirDisplay is more user friendly than DisplayLink, but neither is complicated to use. Both of these apps disabled Aero for me on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. Reading their support 'sites, it seems like YMMV; it might be dependent on your graphics card: I've got an Nvidia GTX 560 and also use the Intel HD 3000 adapter built onto my motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom