It's a question of priorities...

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Once or twice a year I set up the Microsoft Jazz Band. We practice twice in two weeks and then go do a gig like this:
It is the highlight of my playing year. I only get to play 3d alto or 4th tenor but playing with these guys, many of them ringers from name bands, is quite the experience. Unfortunately, I don't think this band wants to gig more than two or three times a year at most.

Then there is the Pacific Cascade Big Band which is the B jazz band for the Woodinville Community Bands org. We do gigs like this:
The difference in the two bands is painfully obvious. And practicing with the PCBB is excruiatingly painful while doing so with the MJB is sheer fun. Now it should be known I fought to set up the B band because there were 10 - 12 saxes playing in the jazz band before we split in two.

So I feel like I owe the PCBB some time and I am playing lead tenor which is a stretch for me. The PCBB practices every week and gigs one every other month or so. And then I have my own Dissonance, a jazz xTet, where x = the number of people who show up, practicing every other week and gigging 3 to 4 times a year.

Add in the concert band stuff and I feel like I'm not progressing because I have so much to practice. Oh, did I mention I am taking two sax lessons a week too? A half hour on alto and an hour on tenor.

Yes, I know, it's an embarrassment of riches. So do I find the PCBB a better tenor lead than me or gut it out? I've been told that the only reason the band exists is because I worked so hard to get it there. And that's true. Should it be about quality or quantity?

Depends on the perspective you approach it: as a leader or as a player.

Backing up a couple steps, I do always want quality in everything I do, rather than, "Pete: Quality is Job 1,534". However, when I was playing/singing in various groups, just as a member, I just wanted to do it as much as possible. I didn't care what part was thrown in front of me.

However, if I'm a "leader" in the group, I want it to sound as good as possible and I have no problem sacrificing my own position so that someone more qualified can take my place.

That's answering the ASKED question, though.

However from you saying "The difference in the two bands is painfully obvious. And practicing with the PCBB is excruiatingly painful while doing so with the MJB is sheer fun", one would suggest that the bigger issue is whether you want to continue with the PCBB in any capacity. Sounds like you don't have much fun there or the amount of fun is exceeded by the amount of pain. If so, concentrate on your other groups and just find another lead tenor. You'll be better off.

I wouldn't quit anything. I feel that you can never be too busy in music. And you say that playing 1st tenor in the B band is a stretch. That sounds like a learning situation to me. In music, experience is a very good teacher. So why give away that seat time?

I've always believed that I'll catch up on my sleep when I'm dead. Until then, what time do we hit?

Julian

At first blush I'm inclined to agree with SideC. A further question, however----is the "painful" aspect of the PCBB group because the quality of their musical output isn't up to where you would like it, or does it have to do with personality conflicts? Or perhaps it's that the others in the group don't have the same drive to improve that you do? Those issues would certainly affect my decision were I in your shoes.

Like SideC, I think that playing in situations where you feel a little in over your head is growth-producing as a player. I found that to be true for me when I landed in the lead alto position in an amateur big band here (which incidentally, makes your PCBB group sound really good---I hang in there because I'm constantly challenged and, consequently, learning).

So it does come back to the heading of your initial post----it is a matter of priorities, and of course the difficult question of whether you are spreading yourself too thin. We can't know what other demands and obligations you have to factor in, so really only you can make that call.

Good luck, and do let us know what you decide.

Best regards, Ruth

I can understand some of Jim's frustrations. To be honest, I probably couldn't play saxophone all the time in the local big band. I'm fine with subbing in on saxes now and then.

What I AM getting a charge out of is playing acoustic archtop rhythm guitar in this band. I'm doing the whole Freddie Green thing - no amp, no mic'ing unless the trumpet section is mic'ed. I've rarely had so much fun.

What I AM getting a charge out of is playing acoustic archtop rhythm guitar in this band. I'm doing the whole Freddie Green thing - no amp, no mic'ing unless the trumpet section is mic'ed. I've rarely had so much fun.
Dude you freak me out with all the instruments you play and play well. I'm still working to play sax, clarinet, and flute decently.
...is the "painful" aspect of the PCBB group because the quality of their musical output isn't up to where you would like it, or does it have to do with personality conflicts? Or perhaps it's that the others in the group don't have the same drive to improve that you do? Those issues would certainly affect my decision were I in your shoes
The quality of all the sections except the trumpets are up to snuff. I luv the sax guys to death. And the director's cool. But practicing the trumpets for so much stuff is painful. And not using recordings because they muffed it repeatedly is no fun. Everyone messes up a bit in this band. But the trumpets... geesh, come on!
I wouldn't quit anything. I feel that you can never be too busy in music. And you say that playing 1st tenor in the B band is a stretch. That sounds like a learning situation to me. In music, experience is a very good teacher. So why give away that seat time?

I've always believed that I'll catch up on my sleep when I'm dead. Until then, what time do we hit?
I've believed that too, but life is a zero sum game. You only have so much time, so what is the best use of it. If I quit one band would I book the other three more? Who knows.

Thanks everyone. I'm still mulling this over.

Dude you freak me out with all the instruments you play and play well. I'm still working to play sax, clarinet, and flute decently.

I played guitar as a kid before taking up saxophone, so I had somewhat of a headstart.

I've always had issues with keyboards though - never done a pro gig on piano.

Back
Top Bottom