Journey to find a new alto saxophone - Need advice

Greetings,
Having owned and played my old saxophone for the last 5 years, so now I'm ready to move on to a new instrument. I`m looking for an instrument in the $1,000 to $1,500 USD range (about my limit). I know that lot's of saxophones on the market are hype, lot's of saxphones on the market are simply a boutique luxury brand name. So after long run I put my eye on Amati AAS 63
Thanks,
Andy

"Lots."

I've played the late Amatis and ... they're not that great.

First, I'd say that it'd be good to know what you currently have. Second, I'd like to know if you have an instructor and what he/she thinks. After that, defining if you want new or used is a good idea, primarily because if you're looking for new, your price range significantly limits you. You also might want to mention what kind of music you play and if you want to go on to college or go professional. Also note that if you're still in school or college, your music department may have a standard brand that you have to get. In one of the high schools I attended, the standard was a Yamaha or better -- and "better" was determined by the director, who was a trombone player. Also note that getting a decent mouthpiece is as important, if not more so, than getting a new horn.

You might want to also take a look at an article I wrote on used altos around $1000.

Back
Top Bottom