JW York

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Generally used stencils, but there was a website dedicated to them:

The J.W. York Company Research Site.

Note: the above link is through archive.org. The website that's there is no longer maintained because the gentleman that ran it died in 2003.

Mr. Swain passed away? .. RIP

I contacted him years ago when I was looking into the history of York instruments - more specifically the link to the Martin brothers as, if i recall, some of the York saxes had soldered on toneholes such as the Martin saxes did. I don't recall if it was the same martin family or not with the saxes though

SteveSklar said:
Mr. Swain passed away? .. RIP

I contacted him years ago when I was looking into the history of York instruments - more specifically the link to the Martin brothers as, if i recall, some of the York saxes had soldered on toneholes such as the Martin saxes did. I don't recall if it was the same martin family or not with the saxes though

It would make sense. A lot of the York horns I've seen appear to be Martin stencils. (A lot are Conns too.)

I've seen one or two actual York made saxophones (curved sops) and they had a lot of Buescher-look to them.

But, when Mr. Buescher left to do his own thang for a couple years, he also got stencils from Martin.

Back
Top Bottom