Keilwerth Distribution

DaveKessler

Kessler & Sons Music
Distinguished Member
Keilwerth currently does not have a USA distributor.

We love the horns so much that we are now dealing directly with Keilwerth in Germany. There are a lot of definite pros about this arrangement, namely price. We have been able to drop new Keilwerth prices by around 20% from previous levels.

I have updated our Keilwerth page to reflect current stock and pricing on all models. Models that are not in stock MAY incur additional import fees (extra shipping/customs costs). We have done our best to estimate those final costs and SHOULD be able to order in models at the stated price. Models that are listed as IN STOCK already have these fees put into their costs, so no additional costs will need to be added.

Take a look: http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/keilwerth.htm

We are running a few specials on that page even below our new pricing and they are advertised on that page.

Dave Kessler
Kessler & Sons Music

Are you able to get parts from them as well . . . such as say a tenor neck? :)

Dave,

I recall a couple years ago or so that they supposedly changed the stack layout - offset instead of straight. is this true on SAT ? And if so how is the new layout compared to other major brands ?

Thanks

Steve, The stack on the modern altos and tenors are definitely off-set. I havent seen a Keilwerth soprano in quite some time so I cant answer that.

Ergonomically, the layout of modern Keilwerths are great. Obviously there is personal preference to keep in mind but we all find the modern Keilwerth's to be quite good ergos.

Oh you're a bad, bad man Mr. Dave Kessler. ;-) Those prices are soo tempting. Despite me being a vintage horn lover/owner, the only new saxes that are seriously tempting me are the new Keilwerths. I've had my eye on one for years now. With the dollar being nearly at par, and these prices, it is even more tempting now.

Oh you're a bad, bad man Mr. Dave Kessler. ;-) Those prices are soo tempting. Despite me being a vintage horn lover/owner, the only new saxes that are seriously tempting me are the new Keilwerths. I've had my eye on one for years now. With the dollar being nearly at par, and these prices, it is even more tempting now.

Helen,

Let me know which horn is most appealing to you and I'll see if I can tempt you even more on it! ;)

I just spent the last 30 minutes drooling into my keyboard. They all look very appealing to me... Well almost all... The regular lacquer job is not my cup of tea actually. I'm thinking I'll see what the new models play like. We've got a number of Keilwerth dealers around here, so there might be a few horns with different metal compositions and finishes around. It's been at least 10 years since I played a new Keilwerth, and that was a nickel silver tenor at a music store in Ottawa.

Looks-wise, I'm quite smitten with the Silver Star (figures, the one you don't have in stock), although the CX 90 looks interesting too. When it comes out later this year, it might be worth waiting to try out first, before making a decision. I'm curious to know how the copper affects the core Keilwerth sound. I've only played one copper horn before--it was designed by Steve Goodson-- and I really liked the sound of it.

I just spent the last 30 minutes drooling into my keyboard. They all look very appealing to me... Well almost all... The regular lacquer job is not my cup of tea actually. I'm thinking I'll see what the new models play like. We've got a number of Keilwerth dealers around here, so there might be a few horns with different metal compositions and finishes around. It's been at least 10 years since I played a new Keilwerth, and that was a nickel silver tenor at a music store in Ottawa.

Looks-wise, I'm quite smitten with the Silver Star (figures, the one you don't have in stock), although the CX 90 looks interesting too. When it comes out later this year, it might be worth waiting to try out first, before making a decision. I'm curious to know how the copper affects the core Keilwerth sound. I've only played one copper horn before--it was designed by Steve Goodson-- and I really liked the sound of it.

Are you looking at altos?

We havent played a CX90 at this point. In theory, only the tone color and response should be changed. The bore design is virtually identical and so the "Keilwerth Essence" of sound should be the same. The theory is that a solid copper horn would be darker in tonal color.

Here is also some breaking Keilwerth news: Keilwerth is planning on bringing back the straight tone hole SX90 altos and tenors! No immediate time table has been released.

I am even thinking about asking Keilwerth to make a KesslerMusic "Custom" configuration alto and tenor... oooo so exciting!

Steve, The stack on the modern altos and tenors are definitely off-set. I havent seen a Keilwerth soprano in quite some time so I cant answer that.

Ergonomically, the layout of modern Keilwerths are great. Obviously there is personal preference to keep in mind but we all find the modern Keilwerth's to be quite good ergos.

I found I could play rings around myself on the RH stack from it being offset vs straight. I had Coufs and Selmers at that time so comparison was easy. I sold my Coufs but wish I had them back.

So the RH ergo difference would really be helpful as I miss that lushness the Coufs Superba 1s had vs the 2s I'm starting to get back into small combo work and I prefer the JK more flexible sound vs the Selmer.

Good prices on the JKs and a wide assortment of necks too

Are you looking at altos?

Sorry 'bout that... Tenors... I didn't dare even venture to the bari page: my Mark VI would go on strike. :emoji_relaxed: (So too would the only modern horn I have: a B&S Medusa, which is actually now my back-up bari.)

Sorry 'bout that... Tenors... I didn't dare even venture to the bari page: my Mark VI would go on strike. :emoji_relaxed: (So too would the only modern horn I have: a B&S Medusa, which is actually now my back-up bari.)

I have the Silver Star tenor on hand. Great horn.

Do you happen to know why Keilwerth doesn't have another US distributor? They've got nice horns; you'd think it'd be easy for them to get distributors.

Do you happen to know why Keilwerth doesn't have another US distributor? They've got nice horns; you'd think it'd be easy for them to get distributors.

Myself and other dealers have some speculation on this. However, I think that alot of it really has to do with a few key aspects:

1. What distributor would properly promote and price Keilwerth aggressively in the USA? Because of corporate buy outs, the US Distribution of true professional woodwind instruments has really fallen down to 3 companies: Buffet USA, Conn-Selmer & Yamaha.

Buffet has had Keilwerth before and that ended for reasons that we are not privy to. Conn-Selmer already distributes Selmer Paris and Yanagisawa, so it owuld be unlikely that either of the 4 parties in that setup would want that arrangement. Yamaha makes their own professional saxophones.

So who would be able to do it well?

2. Price. When you add another middle-man, you increase cost. By them selling directly, the dealer will pay less and can therefore sell for less. My prices are a great exmaple of this.

3. They have the ability to do direct and do it well themselves. One of the real key reasons to do a distributor is financing to the dealer. However, the distributor needs to have the financial ability to float such an investment as dealers want long periods of time with zero interest. The big guys are all ruled out in question 1. So if you cant offer the financing, might as well make them as affordable as possible and direct is the way to do it.

------

That's my take on it all.

Back
Top Bottom