Keilwerth stencil and compatible necks

Hello,

my latest eBay adventure has not been a good one: bought a Bundy Special tenor in ok condition only to realise after I bid, that the neck is not original. I've had it with eBay!

Now, I realise that finding an original Keilwerth New King IV/Bundy Special/Jubilee or any other Keilwerth incarnation is near impossible, so while I wait for the proverbial 'gold dust' I would like to know if anyone has had the chance to try any aftermarket necks.
From the info I have read (mostly on SaxPics), the Bundy Special is closer to a Couf than a modern Keilwerth, so I think I can probably not rush to get a Keilwerth.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear!

Nice to be on this forum!
Manlio

(PS: I have not received the sax yet, so cannot say how the Bundy neck that comes with it will sound...)

(PS: I have not received the sax yet, so cannot say how the Bundy neck that comes with it will sound...)
I think this should be the mother of all questions - unless the Bundy is a collector item, of course.

<<<Cart - Horse<<<<<

Compatible necks with Keilwerth tenor stencil?

All very amusing.

I guess my original question has been lost: any experiences of necks that work well on a 60s Keilwerth tenor stencil?

Sorry, next time I'll be more direct with my questions.

Thanks again,
Manlio

I replied via email today on this but I'll repeat it for the group.

I use an Asian made neck on my King Tempo tenor (new king stencil). Tuning is fine up and down the horn. I've tried some other Selmer type necks and they worked. Tenon sizes vary. At some point I will order a new JK neck for this horn.

Thank you Ed and thank you Steen, I'll look it up, although I have heard on other forums that the masterpiece necks a marketed for all makes but are essentially (allegedly!) the same.

Good starting point though!
Cheers,
Manlio

Interesting, I thought the Masterpiece necks were no longer available.

Originally they were being marketed as replacement necks for Selmer Mark VIs... That's when I bought mine, way back in fall of 1999 I believe.

On my Selmer it really opened up the sound & made the horn "brighter". It did clear up the stuffiness often associated with A2 & D2, and generally, IMO, made the horn sound "better". I realize that's a pretty subjective term, but for the kind of music I play, bright is good, so I really like what it did to open up the horn. Combine it with my Dukoffs & I have a horn that is as bright as its modern contemporaries. With a darker mouthpiece, it will be darker sounding, yet more open sounding than the stock neck. I still use the stock neck for certain jazz applications & have it set up to work with particular mouthpieces.

Back
Top Bottom